Transit time at station Domodossola

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2015 at 17:37:56 #808218

Hi,

I’m in the verse of booking train ticket from Switzerland to venice. My last stop is at Zermatt. So when I check the timetable, from Zermatt to Domodossola is at 8:13am then will reach Domodossola at 10:08am for earliest train. Then from Domodossola to Venice train will depart at 10:17am, so will 7min of transit time sufficient for me to hop onto the train?

Or or is there any other advise that I can get to Venice from Zermatt? I have the Swiss travel pass. So what are the option I can have? Hope to have the least travel time and that I can reach Venice as early as possible. Thanks.

from,

jarrel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 December 2015 at 21:14:17 #847348

<<“So when I check the timetable, from Zermatt to Domodossola is at 8:13am then will reach Domodossola at 10:08am for earliest train. Then from Domodossola to Venice train will depart at 10:17am, so will 7min of transit time sufficient for me to hop onto the train?”>>

Jarrel –

Hi.

Domodossola is a very small station. That is plenty of time.

The timetable is confusing.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It has 2 listings departing Zermatt at 0813, and both have a note -“Hint. Departure arrival replaced by an equivalent train.”

I don’t understand it.

There are two listings for the 0813 Zermatt to Venezia running until June 2016.

Both leave at 0813. One has a single change at Brig (0937 to 0944). The way it is worded (includes “Bahnhofplatz”), it looks like a bus is involved, but there is no symbol for bus.

The other has changes at Visp, Brig, Domodossola (Italy) at 1008 as you note. with a 9 minute connection, depart 1017.

That is enough time. Even if you have a lot of luggage. However, some years ago, I had to haul heavy bags up and down stairs. Hope you don’t find that same problem.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 December 2015 at 9:42:28 #847349

Good morning,

I don’t know your travel date, so I took a look for a random date (January 10). My findings are below, however it does make sense to double check for your exact date.

The timetable indeed offers two options. However, only the second one makes sense: it’s the 8:13 train to Brig. It arrives at the front side of the station (called Bahnhofplatz) at 9:37. Then you have 7 minutes to walk to the main platforms to take the 9:44 direct train to Venice. The 7 minutes are sufficient, but don’t dawdle. It’s a bit of walking, more than a simple cross platform change. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that you can of course take an earlier train and have a coffee in Brig. It’s not complicated though.

The first option offered by the timetable involves changes in Visp, Brig and Domodossola. There’s no advantage to that. The single change of option two is much more comfortable.

As you have a Swiss Travel Pass you only need a ticket for the section from Domodossola to Venice. Please see myswissalps.com/ traintickets/italy/ price for where to obtain such a ticket.

Enjoy the ride!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 December 2015 at 13:54:29 #847350

Hi Arno-

I was intrigued by the “Bahnhofplatz” station, so I looked at a map.

This link shows it clearly:

map.search.ch/?x=-19757m&y=-60020m&z=1024

Even though I was in Brig last June, I did not recognize that “other” track. I always learn something new on this forum. 😉

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 December 2015 at 14:05:32 #847351

Hi Slowpoke,

The name is indeed confusing. One wouldn’t expect a train to show up on the station square. But it actually does. I’m glad it’s cleared up!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2015 at 15:14:04 #847352

Hi,

im leavin zermatt to venice on 01/03/2015. I check the timetable but not sure if I check wrongly or make a mistake. But the timing that I will reach from Zermatt to Domodossola is around 10:08am. Then I need to transit the train from Domodossola to Venice at 10:17am. So the transit time is sufficient for me to transit with 2 luggage right? Cos from Zermatt to domo will also have some transit. But the transit timing is like within 7min I have to board the train. I’m not so sure will it be possible to hop on on time.

Arno, if you are traveling to Venice from Zermatt on 01/03/2016 with a Swiss travel pass, what will your planning be? At least I can learn something from you. Thanks you. Appreciate that.

from,

jarrel

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 December 2015 at 17:03:38 #847353

Jarrell –

Please read Arno’s posts earlier in the thread. Perhaps you missed them.

Make sure you get the right train, and you will only have to transfer at Brig, not at Domodossola.

Take the train on track #1, not on track #3 in Zermatt.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2016 at 17:17:12 #847354

Hi,

thank you so much for the help. Anyway, can I ask if I am staying at Lucerne, is it worth the journey to visit Jungfrau area at schilthorn? And how long is the journey? Or will it be better to visit Mount Titlis? I can only choose 1. Is there any activities I can do in either places?

and also for Matterhorn in Zermatt, is advisable to take Gornergrat railway to view matterhorn right? is there some snow activities I can do when I reach the end station via Gornergrat rail?

Need advise. Thanks.

From,

Jarrel

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 January 2016 at 18:46:44 #847355

<<“And how long is the journey? “>>

Check the time table. the time varies with the train connections that you make.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Judgements about what is worthwhile depend totally on your knowledge, background and interests. The resources on this website under “Where to Go” will help you.

Titlis is a lot closer to Luzern than is the Jungfrau.

This will help with your question about activities:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Transit time at station Domodossola’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.