Transport from Zurich to Grindelwald this winter

• harry103
    Participant
    2 posts
    20 August 2015 at 19:27:28 #807795

Hello, I’m traveling with my wife and children ages 17 and 15 from the United States to the Jungfrau region from Sunday December 26 to Sunday January 10. We are landing in Zurich and want to use the train system for the entire trip. The first week we will be staying in Grindelwald and the second week we will be in Wengen. This is a ski trip and we’d like to explore the entire area and not have to worry about buying train tickets while we are there. Do you think I should buy 3 Swiss transfer tickets for everyone except my 15 year old and we get him a Swiss family card? Also once we are in Grindelwald I was thinking we buy 4 sportspasses and that will include unlimited train rides in the Jungfrau as well as take care of our lift ticket needs? I’m a bit overwhelmed by all the different options and will happily accept any recommendations. Thank you in advance for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 August 2015 at 7:34:00 #845568

Welcome harry103, thanks for joining us!

You’re right, there’s a large choice of rail passes and tickets, and that can get confusing. However, I think you managed to pick the best option for your travel party. Swiss Transfer Tickets will cover the journeys from Zurich to Grindelwald and from Wengen to Zurich, and the 15 year old will travel for free with the free Swiss Family Card. Information and retailers are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstransferticket/pric e. For US residents, the cheapest option is http://www.raileurope-world.com.

I too would recommend the Sportpass for your specific plans. If you plan to focus on the Jungfrau region and plan to use public transportation and ski lifts intensively, it should be worth buying them. Note that there are three variants: all of the Jungfrau region, Grindelwald-Wengen (which excludes the western side of the Lauterbrunnen valley) and Mürren (which excludes the Grindelwald side). You should either pick the Grindelwald-Wengen variant or the Jungfrau variant. If you want to tell for sure which option is best, you should try to make calculations as explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

harry103
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 August 2015 at 14:22:22 #845569

Thank you for your quick and detailed response. A couple more question regarding the Jungfrau region sportspass. Can I use the sportspass for the trains anytime they are running or are the hours restricted? For example if we decide to have dinner in Grindewald after skiing can I take the train back to Wengen?

Also does the sportspass allow me to travel to and from Interlaken on the train?

Thanks again.

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 August 2015 at 5:47:04 #845570

Hello harry103!

Whether or not the journey to Interlaken is covered depends on the type of Sportpass you pick. The Grindelwald-Wengen version doesn’t cover it all the way, the Jungfrau variant does. As far as I can tell, the Sportpass is valid during 24 hours, so there are no time restrictions. An overview of variants, prices, terms and conditions can be found at the Jungfrau website.

• The thread ‘Transport from Zurich to Grindelwald this winter’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.