Transport to Zurich Airport at 3 am available?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 14:48:37 #820574

Hi, I would like to know if there are any reliable taxis or airport transfer companies which I can call or book in advance for 3.00am in the morning. Reason being my flight from Zurich to Larnaca is at 6.10am and therefore I guess I need to be in the airport at least 3 hours ahead. I am planning to stay at Ibis budget Zurich airport. Alternatively is there any accommodation within walking distance to airport? I’m worried that I’m unable to find transportation to airport so early.

Thank you and hope to get a favourable reply.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Luke
    Participant
    105 posts
    24 March 2019 at 16:56:44 #907452

Hi Yav0520,

Technically you could walk from the Ibis but I’m not sure about sidewalks all the way to the airport or if it is just highway. I think you can just walk on Flughofstrasse the whole way.

In any case, your hotel can advise you of that or call you a taxi if they don’t have a shuttle operating early enough- it would be about a 3 minute drive.

You do not need to be at the airport 3 hours prior to your flight. I don’t think the airport opens until 04:00 or 04:30 anyway. 🙂

If the flight is within the Schengen zone you could arrive at 05:00 with little issue (no passport control) and security lines at Zurich airport takes about 10 minutes at that time of day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 17:02:15 #907453

Hi Yavo520,

It is recommended time to calculate before departure for inner European flights from Zurich Airport are around 2 hours, as you might also have the option of doing online check-in and thus only need to drop the luggage at the airport check-in.
    Depending on where you stay you might find a public transportation, possibly saving you some costs. Use our timetable to check available connection.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/zurich
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Otherwise you might also have an available shuttle service from the IBIS Airport Hotel you mention. Check with them for details.

And of course you will also be able to order a taxi the day before via your hotel to pick you up on time.

So you will definitely not have any issue getting to the Airport on time.

Kind regards,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 12:41:03 #907454

Hi Luke and Steph,

thank you for your info. I just found another option which is to stay overnight at Zurich Airport Transit Hotel which will be so much more convenient. However I couldn’t locate the page to book online. Do you know how to go about it? Also since their security is quite tight, one of their terms if I read correctly, mentioned that we can only leave the hotel area at 5.30am and not earlier. Have you any idea on that? My flight is at 6.10am to Cyprus and I need to checkout from the hotel at least by 4.00am maybe?

hope you can assist me. Thank you and Regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 0:35:00 #907455

I read it as a 5.30 am first exit too – to the Schengen area.

First tram from Ibis Budget to Airport is 04.52. That is probably early enough since you would get to the customs hall within about 15 – 20 minutes

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 March 2019 at 0:45:54 #907456

Seems a bit tight to me.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 0:58:11 #907457

I’m with Luke on how fast it would be.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 1:00:33 #907458

I’m normally in the tram, but as far as I know it is not difficult to walk on that road from the Ibis Budget to the terminal. The pedestrian walkways are wide in most places (follow it in street view) Google says 20 minutes but I think it might be a bit less. Even if you walk at the side of the road, at 04.00 it would be pretty quiet

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 March 2019 at 1:41:51 #907459

I am excessively cautious about being early for flights.

To quote a salesman in our Paris office many years ago:

“The only way to never be late is always to be early.”

Missing an intra-Europe flight is no big deal. Missing an intercontinental flight is more of an issue.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 5:26:28 #907460

Hi, thanks for all the replies and comments. I’m rather worried too if I couldn’t get a taxi at that hour (4am). To walk I don’t think so because of my luggage. I may booked the Zurich Airport transit hotel but then again, their passport passage only opens at 5.30 am. That leaves me approximately only 35 to 40 minutes to catch the plane.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 March 2019 at 7:16:36 #907461

Hi Yavo520,

I see you’re all set now, but for future reference, here’s a list of hotels near the airport and also the one at the airport: http://www.myswissalps.com/zu richairporthotels. Most of those hotels near the airport have a free shuttle bus service that will get you there in time, regardless of which flight you’re booked on.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 March 2019 at 10:25:16 #907462

I don’t understand from your comments exactly what it is that opens at 0530, but I don’t like the idea of only 35-40 minutes to catch the plane. It is common that an airline will expect you to be on the airplane at least 30 minutes before the flight.

However. I looked up the hotel, and it seems that it is inside the secured area. So, if true, that means that you would not have to go through pass control in the AM, you could do it the night before.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 12:14:17 #907463

We had the same problem.

We found that the hotels close to the airport didn’t have shuttle services that got us to the airport early enough. A lot had breakfast starting too late too.

In the end we used frequent flyer points to book the Radisson Blu at the airport. If you book far enough in advance the price of a room isn’t too bad. We will eat at the airport rather than the hotel but they do give you “breakfast on the go” muesli bars and coffee if you have an early departure. It is a short enclosed walk to the airport.

We haven’t stayed at the Zürich Radisson Blu hotel yet but have stayed at a few similar airport hotels. They were very convenient.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 March 2019 at 13:36:00 #907464

<<“In the end we used frequent flyer points to book the Radisson Blu at the

airport. If you book far enough in advance the price of a room isn’t

too bad.”>>

I have not looked recently, but when the one at the airport first opened, it was a bit on the expensive side, by my standards. You pay for the convenience.

There is excellent and frequent train service from Zürich main station , but it does not start until somewhere around 5 AM. For any flight after 8AM, that is a good option. I like to stay downtown on my last night, so that is what I do. Or, if I’m feeling like all the hard Swiss currency is wearing out my pockets, I take a cab. outbound in the AM is a breeze. About 60- 70 CHF. Even at that price, It was cheaper to stay downtown.

My regular hotel, the Adler, has reliable cab connections, and they will come as early as I want.

Slowpoke

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    26 March 2019 at 13:46:56 #907465

We took an Uber to the airport very early. Our flight to the US was early but the lines even for business class were very long. We try to arrive at the airport early since you never know what problems you might have.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 15:19:59 #907466

Quick input here – depending on the airline you’re flying in you will have the option of checking-in the night before or online, saving you time and concern.

Check:
    http://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers -and-visitors/arrivals-and-departures/check-in-methods#_ga=2.20411131 2.1731608107.155361348 2-254956552.1553446313

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 16:43:54 #907467

Dear All, thank you very much for all the infos and links. I will consider all of them and see what’s best and convenient. Regards.

• The thread ‘Transport to Zurich Airport at 3 am available?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.