What are “travel days” for Eurail?

• cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    6 May 2019 at 17:16:48 #821489

itinerary is rome -> florence -> milan -> zermatt -> geneva -> wengen -> luzern -> schaffhausen -> bayreuth (8 travel days, excluding rome because I land there by plane)

1) when should I classify a day as a “travel day” for the eurail in order to get the most value out of it? My guess would be the days that I travel from city to city by train (e.g. Rome -> Florence, Geneva -> Wengen etc). What about day trips (e.g. Luzern -> Pilatus)?

2) should I include the days that I spend in Jungfrau region as “travel days”? Since the jungfrau region is covered with 25%/50% discount under the Eurail.

3) train from interlaken ost to wengen 25% or 50% discount?

4) stupid question but the trams that operate in a city aren’t classified as trains under Eurail right?

if the answer to my questions above are “please refer to the excel template for the most suitable rail pass”, please answer with “excel”

Just when I thought I got the hang of STP and my calculations are settled…

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 May 2019 at 17:27:15 #911754

Hi cc123,

You’ll find the answers on our Eurail Global Pass page (http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass) but I’ll answer them shortly:

1) You’re best off using pass travel days for long mainline train trips, as they will then be free.

2) 3) You’ll get a 25% discount there, no free traveling, so no travel day needs to be used.

4) Indeed, they are not included.

I hope this was useful!

cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    6 May 2019 at 17:31:15 #911755

Thanks Arno. I couldn’t find answers on the website that you posted, especially for question 1.

cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    6 May 2019 at 17:39:44 #911756

How long should the train journey be to classify as “long mainline train trips”?

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 May 2019 at 18:10:30 #911757

You’re welcome cc123! Question 1 is a case of “it depends”. You can use the Excel that you mentioned: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass. It depends on the trips you’ve planned. If a ticket is more expensive than one day of your pass, then it’s worth it. Mainline means town to town, so not cogwheel trains into the mountains, etc.

Tickets for Italy are not that expensive: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy/price.

• The thread ‘What are “travel days” for Eurail?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.