Travel from Fussen to Grindelwald with Swiss Pass

Travel from Fussen to Grindelwald with Swiss Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
yldleung
yldleung
6 posts
Jul 21, 2017 - 3:01 PM

Hi,

Would like to know if traveling from Fussen to Grindelward one way trip, should i purchase a Swiss pass? And has to transfer for a cross border train somewhere?

Searching on web saying that it takes more than 8 hours by train, while driving only take 4. Is there any way faster than 8 hours?

would be grateful if can share the info about the route.

Arno
Arno
10742 posts
expert &
Jul 22, 2017 - 6:53 AM

Hi Yldleung, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The SwissPass is for Swiss residents only nowadays. The pass you may need is the Swiss Travel Pass. If that's the best choice for you depends on all of you transfers and day trips combined. Please see here for a detailed explanation.

Füssen to Grindelwald takes at least 5 hours by car, if there are no traffic jams. You'd best avoid the Zürich/Luzern area during rush hour. By train it takes 7h40 at least. There's no quicker way unfortunately. If you're willing to spend about one more hour on the trip you could travel via Luzern on the Golden Pass line. The tip will take a day anyway so you could make it more scenic that way.

yldleung
yldleung
6 posts
Jul 22, 2017 - 7:59 AM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno,

thanks so much for the detail and prompt reply.

so in your opinion, should I take direct express from Buchloe to Zurich, or should find a transfer within Swiss border if I get a Swiss travel pass? (Or there is not such an option?)

Regards

Arno
Arno
10742 posts
expert &
Jul 22, 2017 - 6:23 PM in reply to yldleung

You're most welcome YldLeung!

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Just let me know if that's the case. A direct train from Buchloe to Zurich will cross the border, usually in St. Margrethen, and your Swiss Travel Pass is valid from that point onward. That works regardless of which train you are on. So in this example you would only need a ticket to St. Margrethen. You just stay seated there as the pass covers the rest of the trip.

Last modified on Jul 22, 2017 - 6:24 PM by Arno
yldleung
yldleung
6 posts
Jul 23, 2017 - 5:29 AM

Hi Arno,

That's very helpful, thats exactly what I am asking for! Thanks so much! That's mean in Fussen, I should purchase a ticket from Fussen to St. Margrethen, and then get onboard a train that is from Fussen to Zurich, right? (And I suppose most of them are not terminal in St. Margrethen but in Zurich)

Regards

Daniel

Arno
Arno
10742 posts
expert &
Jul 23, 2017 - 12:26 PM in reply to yldleung

Hi Daniel,

Yes, exactly, that's how it works. You can buy the ticket for the German section through www.bahn.com/en or any of the websites listed here. Just make sure you double check where your train is crossing the border. You can do so in the timetable (you can click down to the train details so it shows all the stops). It can be St. Margrethen, but Buchs SG is also a possibility. Once you have verified that you can buy the ticket.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018