Travel from Interlaken to Luzern via Goldenpass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2016 at 7:26:04 #808540

This may sound like an odd question, but does the Goldenpass line only go in one direction? It seems as though all of the advertising I see about the Goldenpass refers to trips from Luzern to Interlaken and then on from there. If I am staying in the Interlaken region, and want to take a train ride one morning to Luzern, and want it to be on a goldenpass train with the panoramic windows, is that even possible? Or do the trains only travel to Interlaken, and then back later in the day? If it is possible, where do I get started? Can I simply look up trains from Interlaken to Luzern and will some of them be identified as Goldenpass, or how do I differentiate, when looking up train departure times, between regular and Goldenpass tickets?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 March 2016 at 7:39:29 #849055

Hi dchrisa66, welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are trains in both directions. Actually, all trains from Interlaken to Luzern and Luzern to Interlaken are identical, and there are no different ticket types. It’s simply a train connecting two towns, which happens to be part of a route called Golden Pass. If you have a pass for free traveling such as the Swiss Travel Pass, you don’t need a ticket at all. Just board and find a seat.

You’ll find more information here:

Enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2016 at 6:36:27 #849056

So no matter what train from Interlaken to Luzern I take, no matter what time, it will always be one of the “goldenpass” trains with the big high panoramic windows I see on people’s youtube videos, that sometimes you can book the front carriage for? Really? OK, for cool, that makes life easy.

Annika
    7104 posts
    6 March 2016 at 11:03:38 #849057

Hi dchrisa66,

The Golden Pass line consists of different sections with different trains. It’s explained on the Golden Pass page Arno linked to. The trains you’ve seen in the video only operate between Montreux and Zweisimmen.

• The thread ‘Travel from Interlaken to Luzern via Goldenpass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.