Train travel from Zurich airport to St. Moritz

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2016 at 16:50:02 #808524

Hello Arno and Annika

I have been looking at the details for this journey and have found 2 options. Our flight is due to land at 11.30 a.m. Usually we are heading for Thun so have plenty of time to have lunch before catching direct train to Thun at 13.36. This time we have a longer trip with 2 changes to consider with quite a bit of luggage.

• option a: Depart Zurich Flughafen at 13.18, arrive Zurich HB at 13.27 on track 32, depart from track 11 at 13.37, arrive in Chur at 14.52 on track 9, depart Chur from track 10 at 14,48, arrive St. Moritz at 17.03.
    • option b: depart Zurich Flughafen at 13.47, arrive Zurich HB at 13.59 on track 5, depart from track 10 at 14.07, arrive Landquart on track 2 at 15.11,, depart Landquart from track 8 at 15.20, arrive St. Moritz at 17.09.

The second option is quicker but not sure about facilities at Landquart for changing tracks – elevator or escalators?

The problem with first option is short connection time for changing tracks and big distance between tracks. Knowing from previous threads, especially Slowpoke’s knowledge of Zurich, I looked for other connections between Airport and main station and found a 13.10 train from airport arriving at ZHB at 13.21 on track 13 which gives more time and shorter distance to negotiate with luggage. So if we go with option a via Chur we would follow that option of the 13.10 rather than the 13.18.

So we seem to have a choice between the more scenic route via Chur or the quicker, possibly less busy? route via Landquart. Any thoughts?

Best wishes

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 March 2016 at 5:52:31 #848952

Good morning Maggie,

There are ramps to access the platforms in Landquart, so the change will involve a bit of walking but it shouldn’t be hard. It don’t know whether there is an elevator as well.

I would recommend option b because I recall you’ll depart from St. Moritz by the Glacier Express, which includes the Chur to St. Moritz leg of option a. Option b includes very nice scenery as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2016 at 12:47:36 #848953

Hi Arno

Thanks for your reply.

We have been spoilt in previous visits with the easy transfer from airport to Thun on a direct train! We will have a large suitcase (wheeled) and flight bag each plus my laptop bag and I am not good on escalators with luggage but ramps are OK. So option b sounds good. It gives us plenty of time for lunch too!

Maggie

• The thread ‘Train travel from Zurich airport to St. Moritz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.