Travel to and from Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2015 at 22:07:16 #807028

Greetings,

My fiances (soon to be husband) and I are planning a 15-day honeymoon in Switzerland. We will be traveling from Lucerne to Wengen on Sunday, June 7 and will be leaving for Montreux on Thursday, June 11. We are hoping that you can help us with finding the best train connections. From our research, it appears that we need to connect both through Interlaken Ost and Lauterbraunnen to get to Wengen from Lucerne, Is that correct? What we are less certain of is the best way to get to Montreaux from Wengen. What are your suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 March 2015 at 19:49:08 #842187

<<” From our research, it appears that we need to connect both through
    Interlaken Ost and Lauterbraunnen to get to Wengen from Lucerne, Is that
    correct? What we are less certain of is the best way to get to
    Montreaux from Wengen. What are your suggestions?”>>

You did not say how you will be traveling.

Assuming that you are traveling by rail, you are correct about the connections for Wengen – that is the most direct option.

Lauterbrunnen is the connecting point for the cograil up to Wengen. Lauterbrunnen itself lies in a Valley, at the end of the rail line in from IO. The valley is entered from Interlaken Ost (IO) . Automobiles can go as far as Lauterbrunnen. At Lauterbrunnen you change to the scenic cog rail train, which goes up the side of the valley to Wengen.

A less direct route is to take the train (or road) from in from IO to Zweilütschinen, where the valley and the rail line splits. If you do not go to Lauterbrunnen, you can take the other branch and go to Grindelwald. IIRC, Grindelwald is not car-free.

The scenic cog rail follows a roundabout route from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen and thence to Lauterbrunnen ( or the reverse direction.)

There are several options for traveling between Interlaken Ost and Montreux. One way to decide which to use is to use the web site of the SBB. (SwissRailway Federation.) Here is the link:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

After you enter your starting point and destination, (and time of travel) you will get the options for route and times. Select an option, and it will expand and show the intermediate stops. You will also be able to see a map, by choosing from the options at the bottom of the screen.

The shortest distance in km is probably via Zweisimmen. Or, you can go northwards toward Fribourg and Bern, then southward to IO. Both routes pass through Spiez.

Have a great trip.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2015 at 1:49:29 #842188

Hi Slowpoke,

Yes, we are traveling by rail. Thanks for your reply. We have also heard that it’s possible to take the Golden Pass on part of this route, but it’s confusing us whether we should take multiple local trains, the Golden Pass, or if it’s the same route. Can you or others help with this? The golden pass site is also saying Wengen to Lauterbraunnen to Interlaken Ost, to Spiez, to Visp, to Montreux. So is this golden pass best route by rail the best one?

Thanks for clarifying,

Jen and Andy

[quote]Slowpoke said:

<<” From our research, it appears that we need to connect both through
    Interlaken Ost and Lauterbraunnen to get to Wengen from Lucerne, Is that
    correct? What we are less certain of is the best way to get to
    Montreaux from Wengen. What are your suggestions?”>>

You did not say how you will be traveling.

Assuming that you are traveling by rail, you are correct about the connections for Wengen – that is the most direct option.

Lauterbrunnen is the connecting point for the cograil up to Wengen. Lauterbrunnen itself lies in a Valley, at the end of the rail line in from IO. The valley is entered from Interlaken Ost (IO) . Automobiles can go as far as Lauterbrunnen. At Lauterbrunnen you change to the scenic cog rail train, which goes up the side of the valley to Wengen.

A less direct route is to take the train (or road) from in from IO to Zweilütschinen, where the valley and the rail line splits. If you do not go to Lauterbrunnen, you can take the other branch and go to Grindelwald. IIRC, Grindelwald is not car-free.

The scenic cog rail follows a roundabout route from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen and thence to Lauterbrunnen ( or the reverse direction.)

There are several options for traveling between Interlaken Ost and Montreux. One way to decide which to use is to use the web site of the SBB. (SwissRailway Federation.) Here is the link:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

After you enter your starting point and destination, (and time of travel) you will get the options for route and times. Select an option, and it will expand and show the intermediate stops. You will also be able to see a map, by choosing from the options at the bottom of the screen.

The shortest distance in km is probably via Zweisimmen. Or, you can go northwards toward Fribourg and Bern, then southward to IO. Both routes pass through Spiez.

Have a great trip.

Slowpoke

[/quote]

Annika
    7124 posts
    31 March 2015 at 4:32:54 #842189

Hi Jen and Andy,

The Golden Pass route is Lucerne – Meiringen – Interlaken – Spiez – Zweisimmen – Montreux. Visp is not on this route. You can use this beautiful rail line to reach Wengen, and to reach Montreux afterwards. All details and a map are on the Golden Pass page.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 March 2015 at 15:49:27 #842190

[quote]AndyJen said:

Hi Slowpoke,

<<“. We have also heard that it’s possible to take the Golden Pass on part of this route, but it’s confusing us whether we should take multiple local trains, the Golden Pass, or if it’s the same route. “>>

High Andy Jen –

The Golden Pass train uses the same tracks as all the other trains on that (those) routes. But, you don’t have to change trains, as you would otherwise.

You do have to get from Wengen to IO via Lauterbrunnen to pick up the Golden Pass route, or any other of the routes i mention.

That is why I suggested the SBB web site as a reference. It can help you decipher the routes, especially using the map option.

sbb.ch/en/home.html

If you do not purchase the Golden Pass ticket, you can use local or long distance trains over the same tracks, and make your own timetable. However, the Golden Pass trains have special scenic cars with extensive glazing, well up into the roof, IIRC. Great for views and for sunshine. They also used to have inadequate air conditioning for sunny days in that type of car, and the windows did not open. So, when I travel those routes, which I have not done for 5 or 6 years, I avoided the panoramic cars. To each his own. And, they may well have improved the air conditioning. The moderators may know about that.

It is nice to stay on one train, without the need to transfer luggage when you change trains. That is a benefit of the Golden Pass ( or other such named routes.)

I have always found the descent into Montreux through the vineyards (which is on the Golden Pass route) to be one of the most beautiful short stretches of rail travel in all of Switzerland. The Golden Pass route passes through Zweisimmen between Spiez and Montreux. You can force the SBB computer to select that route if you put in Zweisimmen in the “via” box. The whole ride is quite scenic, but, for me, that section coming down to Montreux is the best part.

The travel time (IO to Montreux) is one the order of 3 hours to 3 hours 10 minutes.

Caveat Emptor- currently, there is extensive construction on the last part of the route, and the line is closed some days in April. It looks like it will be finished before May. Might check with the SBB, or at least look at the timetable on-line.

If you do not put in an intermediate stop in the “via” box, the SBB timetable chooses the route through the new Lötschberg tunnel as the fastest route to go from IO (Interlaken Ost) to Spiez, to Visp (near Brig) and along the Rhone Valley to Montreux. That route has its own attractions, but the long tunnel section means that you miss some of them. It takes about 2 hours and 10-20 minutes.

If you want a really special train ride, you could pick up the Lötschberger in Spiez, travel via Kandersteg, and down the BLS Südrampe line to Brig or Visp, then catch the train to Montreux. I plan to walk the rail trail along the Südrampe in June with my grandson. Time on train- 3 hours 20 minutes. About the same as the Golden Pass through Zweisimmen, but withsome changes of train.

myswitzerland.com/en-us/bls-regioexpress-loetschberger.html

Also, search BLS Südrampe wih Google

It use the old higher route route (force the choice with “Kandersteg” in the “via” box on the SBB web site) with a much shorter older tunnel, and a fantastic ride down the wall of the Rhone Valley

Finally, there is a northern route. If you choose to take local and long distance trains via that geographically longer route from Spiez to Bern, where you would change trains, then from Bern to Montreux via Lausanne, it takes less time in the train (2 hours and 35 to 40 minutes), and, you could, if you chose to, get off in Bern, put your luggage in a coin locker or the left luggage office, walk through the very nice old town to the Nydeggbrücke and up the hill to the Rosegarden, and return by walking back down to the Nydegg Brücke and catching the tram back to the Hauptbahnhof.

I’ve spent time in Montreux on vacation and also at business meetings. I’d rather look at Bern, and it is easier to walk around. The lakefront promenade at Montreux is very nice, however. So is the cograil ride up to Glion and Caux, and all the way to Rochers de Naye.

<<“. So is this golden pass best route by rail the best one?”>>
    As you can see from my extensive comment, I don’t think so. However, you and I are not the same people. “Best” is a word that has to be judged from the eyes of the beholder, not from the eyes of an advice giver with different perspectives and level of experience. I value flexibility over convenience, and often take routes where I change trains. If you have heavy luggage, that is a problem.

I have used the various luggage transport services. Years ago you could check your luggage onto the same train youe were taking. Now, the fastest service (same day) is available only at selected stations:

sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/baggage/fast-baggage.html

Wengen to Montreux is listed as available for Fast Luggage.

If you are going to stay at the same place for a few days, the slower service might work. Or, you might send some ahead for pick up part way through a circuitous route if you want it waiting for you when you pick up a rental car.

sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/baggage/baggage-switzerland.html

Personally, unless my time in Montreux were critical, I’d take the BLS Südrampe route via Kandersteg, or the northern route through Bern. But, i know the routes, and don’t mind transferring luggage. “Travel Light,” as they say. Or, send your luggage by Fast Luggage.

Hope I have not confused you. You need top look carefully at a map.

A good one, which gives train stop information is at MapSearch.CH

http://map.search.ch/

Select Map/Route tab. I find the Classic interface ( box at lower right corner of home page) to be easier for me to use.

Planning a trip is the sometimes the best part….especially if the weather does not cooperate. Switzerland has extensive resources to do such planning, should you care to use them.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2015 at 9:23:09 #842191

AndyJen –

I added some information to my post about alternate train routes further down this thread. By hindsight, I should have made a new post, but this will at least let you know to look.

I added links to the SBB web site and comments about sending your luggage by rail. For key stations, The SBB has finally reinstated same-day luggage service. So, if you want to take a route that requires multiple changes of train, or a break in the middle for a quick look at a town, you can have your luggage sent to your destination station onthe same day. Slower service is more widely available.

I have used these services in the past. Great for heavy bags.

• The thread ‘Travel to and from Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.