Traveling Italy-Switzerland, bad weather ideas

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2019 at 17:31:30 #824465

We’ve revised our traveling plans for the Swiss Alps portion of our European road trip.

We will be entering Switzerland from Domodossola, Italy. We plan to drive to Tasch (about 1hr, 45min), explore the Zermatt/Matterhorn area for about 6-8 hours and then drive to Wilderswil (about 2hr, 15min) where we have booked three nights accommodations (fully refundable) for April 1st,2nd and 3rd.

We are not interested in skiing or a lot of hiking (ages 63 & 71) but would love taking cable cars, gondolas or short trip cog wheel trains to enjoy the views from high up.

So that begs the question, except for walking the small villages, shopping and dining, what is there to do for 2+ days if the weather is bad? No sense paying for the rides up the mountains if there is nothing to see.

Thanks for any advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 November 2019 at 21:12:11 #925141

Hi harveyshot,

Firstly I would recommend you to visit the following links which outline things to see and do in the Jungfrau region.

In case of rainy days, you may want to consider making day trips via train or boats to nearby towns such as Interlaken, Thun and Bern ( 30 mins to 1 hour by train). Links below:

Hope this helps!

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2019 at 16:44:50 #925142

Thanks, Anna. I’ve been to those pages, and they are helpful, but I was hoping to find someone(s) that has stayed in the area during bad weather and found other things to do besides going up on the mountains and if it was worth it. I know it’s a long shot but as I stated earlier, our hotel is fully refundable now but it won’t be when we get there. Just trying to plan ahead.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 1:48:25 #925143

The weather is rarely so bad for a full day that a mountain trip is not possible.

Also, as Anna has suggested, you should visit Bern or Thun as a ‘lowland’ activity. Bern is a lovely city to visit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 9:34:04 #925144

Hello Harveyshot,

Thanks for your question!

There are plenty of options to do around the cities and villages in case the weather is not ideal in the Alps. In Bern you could explore the city. There are two main shopping streets: Kramgasse and Gerechtigkeitsgasse. These two main shopping streets are in the center of the Old town. It is lined with six kilometers of arcades, which means you will be protected from the rain, so no umbrella is needed. Another great visit is the Einstein museum, and it is my favourite! This is the actual apartment he lived in when he developed his Theory of Relativity.

In Thun, you could take a beautiful boat trip on Lake Thun. The boats have indoor heating and full restaurant service.

In Interlaken, I would recommend taking a workshop on making your own Swiss chocolate.

Another great place to see is the Kambly outlets. There you can sample the unlimited offerings of cookies and crackers! A must do is the workshops to bake cookies the Kambly way.

I hope this helps you with some inspiration on what to do when the weather is not ideal. Please feel free to write again if you have more questions.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 16:50:15 #925145

“The weather is rarely so bad for a full day that a mountain trip is not possible.” Thanks, 1960man. That gives me hope. Being as I’ll be 71 when I visit, this will be my first (and probably only) trip to Europe. I’ve always wanted to road trip the Alps so hoping for nice skies. I should go in summer but I’m not a fan of big crowds.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 16:57:51 #925146

Thanks, Suzanne, interesting ideas. The Einstein house sound good. Making chocolate sounds better.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 17:51:45 #925147

Hello harveyshot,

It will be wonderful trip to Switzerland I’m sure! Please write again if you have more questions.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Traveling Italy-Switzerland, bad weather ideas’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.