Traveling to Mt.Schilthorn with Eurail Select Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2017 at 15:05:02 #813739

Hi

I plan to travel to Schilthorn next April. I plan to go up via Stechelberg and go down via Grutschalp. I have a 5-day Eurail Select Pass. My questions are:

1.If I depart from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen and return, will my pass cover the fare for these routes? Your website says the Eurail Select pass gives 25% of the train and cable car fare to Schilthorn. I just wanna make sure about this.

2. Does my pass cover the bus fare from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg? The website doesn’t say anything about the bus fare, so I’d like to ask.

3. If my pass doesn’t cover both train fare and bus fare, that means I need to get a ticket from Interlaken to Schilthorn, right?

4. I can find one-way ticket fare for the cable car from Stechelberg to Schilthorn but can’t find the one-way fare for the route via Grutschalp. So I wonder if I buy round-trip ticket from Stechelberg – Schilthorn (or Interlaken-Schilthorn), will I be able to ride a cable car via Grutschalp route?

5. Do you have any suggestion for me to get the cheapest ticket for this trip to Schilthorn?

Thank you so much.

May

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2017 at 17:05:26 #872360

Hi May and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. The Eurail Select Pass gives you 25% off the ticket cost from Interlaken to Murren & on to Schilthorn. Lauterbrunnen is on the way from Interlaken to Murren so it is also 25% off the ticket price. You can see a PDF map on what is covered fully or partially by that rail pass here.
    2. No it doesn’t cover that bus route. See the PDF map on the link above.
    3. You will need a ticket from Interlaken to Schilthorn yes. You will get 25% off that ticket (except for the bus route if you take it (full price but it is a small amount – short bus ride!)
    4. You can find a price sheet for fares on the Schilthorn website here. The price going via Stechelberg is 2chf cheaper round-trip. If you want to make both trips you would be 1-way tickets (round-trip tickets are not discounted anyway)
    5. The cheapest option (by 2chf) is to make the round-trip via Stechelberg (129.00chf) less your 25% discount with the Eurail Select Pass.

While the Eurail Passes do get you discounts on some Swiss trips, The Swiss Travel Pass would give you better discounts in general for any/all trips you make in Switzerland.

The entire trip to Schilthorn would be free with the Swiss Travel Pass for example in 2018.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 2:01:33 #872361

Thank you so much Lucas.

That does help me a lot.

At first i planned to get 4-day STP, but unfortunately i’ve already got 5-days Eurail pass because on the 5th day of my trip, i’m going to Italy. I was afraid that the cost of ticket on the 5th day would be expensive so i decided to get the Eurail when i see the cyber monday 20% discount on top 15% traveling in pack without well research. Now i think using the Eurail cost me a lil bit more than using 4-day STP.

By the way, if i buy one-way ticket from Interlaken to Schilthorn at Interlaken station, will i be able to buy the ticket back down to Interlaken via the Grutschalp route at Schilthorn? If not I think i’ll just leave the Grutchalp route and get the return ticket Interlaken-Schilthorn via Stechelberg. Can i buy the ticket at the train station in Interlaken or do i have to book online?

Thank you so much.

May

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 3:28:41 #872362

Hi May,

Just in case you are travelling at the end of April, here is information about the operating dates of transport you have mentioned using:

• Cable car Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp – closed from 30 Apr until 4 May 2018
    • Cable car Mürren-Schilthorn – closed from 23 Apr to 27 April 2018

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 3:47:24 #872363

Thank you so much for your information, Alpenrose.

Fortunately, my trip is on the beginning of April.

May

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 7:26:28 #872364

Hi May,

You can buy a ticket down from Schilthorn yes. You may be able to buy the return ticket down from Interlaken when you buy the ticket to go up as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 8:12:39 #872365

Thank you so much, Lucas.

May

• The thread ‘Traveling to Mt.Schilthorn with Eurail Select Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.