3 nights in Switzerland in April with a baby

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 9:34:17 #814784

Good day!

My family is planning to have our vacation in Switzerland this April 25-28 (3nights). We will bring along our 10month old baby. I am overwhelmed with the informations I’m reading. We would love to see Zurich,Lucerne,Interlaken… ride the Glacier or Bernina Express. I heard Jungfraujoch is also fantastic but I’m not quite sure how to go there with a baby. What will be the weather on those dates? Should we bring winter clothes? Is it advisable to just get an accommodation/hotel in Zurich? I mean it will be a day tour and will get back to the hotel for the night or better to get a room at Lucerne and Interlaken?

Also th 50% discount travel pass, is it advisable if we will take it and stay for 3days?

I will really appreciate your suggestion.

PS

we will go to Paris after Switzerland . Which is the best option or nearest hotel to the station.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 17:10:27 #878871

Hi Luxiuo615 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

With only 3 nights here, it will be hard to do too much. You can certainly visit Lucerne, Interlaken (not very interesting) and Jungfraujoch during your 3 days. The Glacier Express and Bernina Express are not too close to those towns though (and takes you farther away once you finish the trip) so that will be trickier to accomplish.

Jungfraujoch with a baby is something to discuss with your doctor. Over 3000 meters is often said not to be ideal for infants though so you might want to skip it.

I would pick a more central town to stay in, like Lucerne. We have hotel suggestions for Lucerne noted here (and it tells you how far from the train station it is). You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out the trips and see how long they take.

To pick the best rail pass you must decide on all your planned trips while here and then do the math to compare prices. See: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass for help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 19:17:42 #878872

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your response. As much as we like to stay longer our travel is very limited 🙁 maybe if we’ll get a longer vacation from work we will go back 🙂

what would be your suggested itinerary for 3 nights? With an infant, and also we will go to Paris afterwards, so which is the perfect location of the hotel we should get ?

thanks for the links. Will check on them 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 8:31:00 #878873

I would stay in Lucerne or around Interlaken (maybe Interlaken itself (as the location is convenient, or Lauterbrunnen or Thun).

There are nearby mountains that aren’t as high as Jungfraujoch but still very scenic – look at Mt. Pilatus (2100 meters).

You can also take part of the Golden Pass route to Interlaken (2 hours on the Luzern – Interlaken Express) and then head over to the Jungfrau region. Lauterbrunnen and Wengen are worth a visit even if you don’t go up to the mountain tops. Also, take a cruise from Interlaken to Thun on Lake Thun.

An easy funicular ride up Mt. Niesen (2300 meters) is a nice option as well (over looking Lake Thun).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 12:50:25 #878874

Thank you so much Lucas. I think I can now finalize our itinerary with your help 🙂

Will check on affordable accommodation in Lucerne or Interlaken. Then upon arrival at Zurich airport we will travel to The chosen accommodation, then will take a look at th nearby mountains

the next day, we will head to Jungfrau region and the lake or take a funicular to mt. Niesen 🙂

is it still possible to take the glacier express on our last day and get an accommodation on the last stop or end of the trip if it’s accessible going to Paris?

also, which is more practical? Get the golden pass or the STP?

thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 13:14:23 #878875

The Glacier Express runs between St. Moritz and Zermatt with stops in Chur and Andermatt if you want to do only part of the 8+ hour train ride. From any town you can catch a train to Paris (you will change trains at least once or twice of course). You can use the timetable to plan out the trips.

it isn’t a case of either the Golden Pass OR the STP. The Golden Pass is a train route and the Swiss Travel PAss is a rail pass – so both are a good idea. It would be between the Golden Pass route and the Glacier Express route I think

• The thread ‘3 nights in Switzerland in April with a baby’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.