Travelling by bus

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2010 at 12:59:28 #804107

Hi, we are staying in Biel from 6th to 11th December and planning day trips from there. I have used train timetable to find out train times but is there an equivalent site for finding local bus times? We want to get from railway station to hotel but can’t find out about local bus times. Tried putting hotel address in as you suggested to someone else in another post but it didn’t work! Also do you know if we can check in for return flight to UK (flying with Swiss) at Biel railway station? We usually do that in Thun when we stay in the summer. Looking forward to seeing Switzerland at a different time of year!! Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 November 2010 at 5:01:18 #832139

Hello Maggie! All buses should be included in the general SBB timetable. I just checked the connections in Biel, and I suppose it still concerns the Best Western Hotel you mentioned before? You should fill out ‘Biel/Bienne, Bahnhof/Gare’ (= railway station) as your departure address and your hotel’s address (Aarbergstrasse 29, Biel) as your destination. If you click ‘Search connection’, the timetable will come up with a drop-down list which allows you to pick the right address that the timetable recognizes. In my attempt, this is described as ‘2503 Biel/Bienne, Aarbergstrasse 29 [City, street no]’. Pick this address from the list and click ‘search connection’ once again. The timetable will then come up with several possiblities, such as bus lines and trolley bus lines. There doesn’t seem to be a bus stop very close to the hotel, so a short walk of a few minutes should be made from the bus stop to the hotel. In all, the trip from the railway station of Biel to your hotel will take only 6 to 10 minutes, including the short walk.

Yes, the railway station of Biel offers the possibility of checking in for your flight. This service is available daily, from 9am to 19pm. A list of all services at the Biel railway station can be found on the SBB website as well.

Have a great time in Switzerland! It’s great that you get to visit it in winter this time. I’m looking forward to hearing your winter experiences already!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2010 at 8:02:34 #832140

Thank you Annika, have fouund what I needed. Getting really excited about seeing a different season in our favourite country! We have decided to buy an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass because although we are not there for full 8 days and costs according to my calculations (planning several trips by train) work out about even, it is worth it for the convenience of not having to queue to buy tickets and may also qualify us for hotel discount. We worked out that our pass in the summer cost us something like 40% of the amount we would have paid in standard fares and museums were free too. And no queueing at busy times! I love reading all the posts on this forum as it keeps me in touch with Switzerland between visits! Thanks again, Maggie

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    4 November 2010 at 12:46:47 #832141

Hello Maggie, a quick and off-topic reaction: My husband and I just returned from Switzerland. We have seen the colours of autumn during beautiful weather (and snow!). We stayed in Graubünden for two weeks and – because it’s our second home – we spent the third week in the Bernese Oberland. I can tell you that it ís wonderful to see Switzerland in a different season. We know the Bernese Oberland like the back of our hands during summer, this was really spectactular too!
    I agree that a Swiss (Saver) Pass is very convenient – our favourite Pass too! Of course one will have to find out whether it’s worth the costs and I understand you already did, but it’s so great not having to wait, being able to go wherever you please (I’m talking trains here… ;-)). If there’s a Migros in the neighbourhood, don’t forget to buy some of the delicious chocolate balls. They’re probably for Christmas, but who cares! 🙂

Wishing you a very nice trip,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2010 at 14:06:41 #832142

Hello Olga, thank you for your post. We are staying in Biel and planning trips to Zurich, Basel, Montreux and Geneva to sample the Advent atmosphere and Christmas markets, fancy quick visit to Bern as well if we can fit it in! Our first visit to Switzerland in 2001 was a 3-centre stay, taking in Hilterfingen on Lake Thun, Zermatt and St. Moritz. For the last 9 years we have spent 2 weeks in Hilterfingen so also know Bernese Oberland really well now, though because of the excellent travel system, we have been able to visit lots of other places as well, many of them off the touristy track. Careful research before we set off is the key to making the most of a 2 week stay. This forum has been a great help in that respect and I always enjoy reading your posts. I visit the forum every week to see what’s new! I have just returned from showing some slide shows of my Swiss photos to a small fellowship group at my church and they can see why I love Switzerland so much and keep going back! Thank you again for your good wishes. Maggie. PS My school girl German and French (from 50 years ago) improve with every trip! People are so kind when I try to use them it is very encouraging.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2011 at 4:47:00 #832143

I hate traveling in buses, I prefer trains, would avoid traveling by bus, but I guess each his own… But where ever given the chance I would take the train, smoother more comfortable and mostly faster too.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    1 February 2011 at 5:10:14 #832144

But have you ever tried the PostBus? There are even roundabout tours in PostBuses and that’s really great!

🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2011 at 18:00:07 #832145

Andrew, my original question was merely about a bus from the railway station to our hotel – in fact it was easy – a trolley-bus ride door to door. I love all Swiss transport, including buses. We use trains a lot in Switzerland but agree with Olga, nothing beats a postbus day trip – the 4 passes tour from Meiringen has spectacular views and hair-raising winding roads – the drivers are very good and you have a commentary in several languages available. Maggie

• The thread ‘Travelling by bus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.