Switzerland in last week of December – good idea?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2017 at 12:59:54 #813249

Hi…could you please advise if traveling to Switzerland in last week of December is okay …planning to visit with my 2 kids for Christmas vacation…1) Will mountain / snow excursions be opened or closed? 2) Planning to rent a car and drive on my own. Is this a good idea?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2017 at 17:06:50 #869765

Hi Tannyshiv and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We usually recommend visitors to travel around Switzerland by train and that is doubly true for the winter. No worrying about road conditions and you can soak up the scenery better on the train (not to mention some villages are car-free).

Yes, the mountains should all be open in late December.

I’m not sure if you have decided on where you are going but if you need help there have a look at the following pages:

If you travel by train I would look at the Swiss Travel Pass (on the list above) and combine it with the Swiss Family card (free). Ir your kids are under 16 they travel for free (under 6 don’t need a ticket or rail pass at all).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 2:37:21 #869766

Hi Lucas…thanks a lot …

• The thread ‘Switzerland in last week of December – good idea?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.