Travelling on normal trains Lindau to Andermatt

• AcmTam
    Participant
    9 posts
    14 October 2019 at 6:12:57 #824193

We would like to travel by train from Lindau (Germany ) to Chur to spend a few days exploring.

Then we would like to catch a train from Chur to Andermatt, again to stay there for a few days.

I am having trouble working out if it is possible to get to Chur without going via Zurich.

Also, do normal trains go from Chur to Andermatt or is it only the Glacier Express?

I would really appreciate any help.

Many thanks,

AcmTam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 October 2019 at 6:23:43 #923654

Hi AcmTam,

You would normally not travel via Zurich to reach Chur from Lindau. Please see the timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

There are trains from Chur to Andermatt all day long. The Glacier Express is an extra exceptional train but not the only way to travel. You’ll find all options in the timetable too. Also see “Regular trains versus Glacier Express” on http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress.

Enjoy the ride!

AcmTam
    Participant
    9 posts
    14 October 2019 at 6:42:31 #923655

Many thanks for the information Arno.

It is great to have help from local experts as I am trying to work this out from ‘ Down under’ – Australia.

Thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 0:55:00 #923656

Hi, A pom here…

From Lindau you go through the edge of Austria to Bregenz then to St Margrethen (Swiss border station). From St Margrethen there are hourly InterRegio trains direct to Chur

PDF timetable here:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/880.pdf

For Chur – Andermatt you’ve fallen into the ‘Glacier Express hyperbolic marketing’ trap.

The Glacier Express (GEX) runs roughly on an East – West axis.

In practice the GEX is just an ‘exclusive’ train on a normal railway route with plenty of other normal – non supplement , reservation-free trains on it.

timetable PDF here:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/920.pdf

To understand the above, it is worth taking a moment to understand the Glacier Express and its history:

It was created (as one train each way daily) with the notion that well-healed travellers taking long holidays in Switzerland in the ‘Belle Epoque’ era (1930s) would stay in Zermatt and then also go and stay in the other fashionable resort of the time, St Moritz. The train was named (mainly) after the Rhone Glacier which has now melted so much that you don’t see it from the train and in any case the train runs under the Rhone Glacier in a base tunnel which replaced the Furka mountain section in 1982.

AcmTam
    Participant
    9 posts
    15 October 2019 at 5:24:15 #923657

Thank you so much for this.

We want to stay in one place for 4 – 5 days and explore the area, not just pass the scenery on a train.

I understand that the train journeys suit a lot of people but it isn’t the way we enjoy travelling.

Also, thank you for the history of the Glacier Express, really interesting.

Now back to planning our trip.

Many thanks from an Aussie to a Pom

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2019 at 0:26:53 #923658

No problem, but a small point – what season would this be?

AcmTam
    Participant
    9 posts
    16 October 2019 at 6:47:44 #923659

We are planning well in advance as part of it will be a large family holiday.

My husband and I will do this component in September 2020 before meeting up with the rest of the family.

Many thanks

• The thread ‘Travelling on normal trains Lindau to Andermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.