Travelling Switzerland with a 2 yr old kid

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2012 at 14:43:33 #805330

Hi,

I’ll be travelling with my family ( 2 adults + a 2 yr old child) from 15 June to 28 June 2012.

Would like to seek your advice on which pass to obtain..Here’s our planned itenerary:
    – Lucerne
    – Interlaken
    – Berne
    – Zermatt
    – Lugano
    – Fox Town
    – Visit the Rhine Falls
    – Black Forest in Germany
    – Konstanz

Is it too ambitious? What is the pass which I should buy? Will be great if you can advise my route as well.

Is there any must see?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    1 June 2012 at 11:43:07 #836305

Hello piglet. You seem to plan a lot of traveling, so I would definitely recommend a 15 day Swiss Saver Pass (and additional regular tickets for the German parts of your trip).

Your plan is ambitious indeed, but if you aim to see as much of the country as possible, it’s doable. You can quite easily travel from north to south, meaning that the order could be Black Forest – Konstanz – Rhine Falls – Lucerne – Interlaken/Bern – Zermatt (via the Lötschberg Regio Express along Interlaken, Spiez and Goppenstein) – Lugano/Fox Town (via Domodossola and the Centovalli line). The timetable allows you to plan your trips. You may also be interested in our hotel selection.

As for must sees: please browse the forum and visit the sections on Wallis and the Bernese Oberland. You’ll find lots of ideas there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2012 at 15:43:46 #836306

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your advice!

Would like to know if this plan is better?

Zurich – Munich – RhineFalls – Lucerne – Interlaken/ Bern – Zermatt – Lugano/ FoxTown – Zurich

How do I obtain tickets to Munich and how much would it cost with the Swiss Saver Pass?

Thanks!

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 June 2012 at 12:39:37 #836307

Hi piglet! Whether that’s better, depends on your preferences. I think there’s more traveling time involved as you want to travel from Zurich to Munich and then back to Switzerland, right? Just use the timetable to see what appeals to you.

Tickets to Munich can be bought through the SBB timetable: enter your journey, click ‘Fare/Buy’ and enter the order process. Select ‘GA’ in 1st or 2nd class from the drop-downlist when asked for discounts or passes for Switzerland (this is the so-called ‘General Abonnement’, which offers the same benefits as the Swiss Pass): the timetable will automatically calculate the right fare if you do so. The trip will be for free up to the Swiss border with a valid Swiss Pass; between the Swiss border and Munich regular prices apply.

• The thread ‘Travelling Switzerland with a 2 yr old kid’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.