Travelling to Switzerland for 8 days in May end

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 20:31:11 #815863

Me and my husband, in early thirties are traveling to Switzerland for the first time. Below is our proposed itinerary

24 May-Landing in Paris, staying over night and would be visiting the Eiffel Tower.

25 May-Traveling to Zurich from France by train and then connecting train to Lucerne.

25-28 May- We will be staying in Lucerne for 4 nights and plan to Mount Titlis, Rigi, Pilatus and Jung do walking trails

28May-2 June, 2018-Will move to our second base to cover Matterhorn, Gornergrat and Glacier Express. Do walking trails.

2nd June, 2018- Take train to Italy, Milan for my remaining trip

I have the below questions regarding my above stated itinerary

1. Are the bases chosen best to cover the areas mentioned above?Are there better base which will be less touristy and more picturesque.

2. Is my itinerary doable or is it too much to see and experience in my time line?

3. Have I missed out an any experience or place which should be covered for a first timer who wants to experience the natural beauty and alps of Switzerland.

4. I am confused about the Chocolate train which makes one cover and the chocolate factory and Cheese factory? Can it be accommodated in my itenary from any of the bases?

Request members to kindly provide suggestions to my itinerary and answer my questions

Thanks

Manu Vohra

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 2:14:56 #884771

Hi Manu,

1. Your first base of Lucerne is a good one. What is your second base? Zermatt?
    2. Seems fine, but how are you planning to do the Glacier Express? Are you staying in Chur or St. Moritz after?
    3. There are other options in the Jungfrau region that are popular but you can’t do it all – I’d stick with what you have.
    4. You could train to Montreux from Lucerne but you’d have to get going very early to catch the 09:02 departure. http://www.goldenpass. ch/en/goldenpass/offer /view?id=15
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 7:20:36 #884772

Thanks for your reply.

Kindly help regarding the below points.

1. Lucerne is the first base from which I plan to cover Mount Titlis, Rigi, Pilatus and Jung do walking trails. Staying there for 4 nights from 25th May-29th May, 2018. Can you please suggest something else which i can visit from here which i have not covered above. Open to moderate level trails as well and any other places you recommend. Hotel booking done

2. Still confused about the second base. Would you suggest staying in Grindelwald, Wengen, Lauterbrunne to visit – Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe, Schilthorn. Can you please suggest a second base considering these places and also I have to travel to Italy. Would it be possible to travel in combination of Glacier Express and Bernia Express to reach Italy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 17:33:44 #884773

Hi Manu,

1. You can find our activity and hiking recommendations around Lucerne here. What is “Jung do walking trails”?
    2. Any of those towns can work just fine – really down to personal preference. Wengen is the popular town around here. 🙂
    3. Where in Italy are you going? You could take a train to Chur (timetable) and pick up the Bernina Express to Tirano, Italy and then go wherever you are off to.
  • The thread ‘Travelling to Switzerland for 8 days in May end’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.