Travelling with elder in wheelchair

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2016 at 3:20:12 #808567

Hi,

I am planning for vacation in July. My mother will be with me, she is 65 and cannot walk long distance (although she is not disable), for that she uses wheelchair, my question is:

Is Switzerland friendly for such travelers?

Is wheel chair can be used on roads of tourists areas? if not then which areas i should avoid

Lastly, trains / train station will be difficult for her to get in? if yes then which

My plan is to visit these in 10-12 days: Zurich, Interlaken, Lucerne, Jungfraujoch, Flüelen, St. Moritz., Zermatt, Montreux.

Thanks,

Nauman

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 March 2016 at 1:30:15 #849185

Hi Nauman…

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I am not an expert on your question, but this web site may help you get started.

http://www.mis-ch.ch/en/travel-info/

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 March 2016 at 6:37:12 #849186

Welcome Nauman!

Switzerland is pretty wheelchair friendly, but there will be challenges too: some towns are hilly/others are flat, there are cobble stone streets while others are smooth, old buildings may have stairs only, etc. There are no certain areas to avoid that I can think of. It’s usually not difficult to find an hotel very close to the rail station. Please see myswissalps.com/ hotels/railstations, and post details to the Accommodation forum if you need more help with that.

Train travel won’t be a problem. There are more and more trains with low floors so you can easily get on board without assistance. In other cases you need to arrange for train staff to help you with a mobile ramp. All details can be found here: sbb.ch/en/station-services/passengers-with-a-handicap.html.

This page might be helpful too: myswissalps.com/ plantrip. And this one: http://www.wanderland.ch/en/r outes/obstacle-free-routes.html.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2016 at 14:29:10 #849187

Thanks for the detail Arno, for sure i will check the links, can you suggest me a link where i can find multiple options for itineraries…

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 March 2016 at 14:41:27 #849188

Glad to help Nauman! Please see the second last link, click “Do it yourself”, then “Sample itineraries”. You’ll also find lots of tips to create your own itinerary in that section.

• The thread ‘Travelling with elder in wheelchair’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.