Traveling in Switzerland with father in wheelchair

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 14:00:17 #812407

We planned my 50th birthday celebrations nearly a year ago for two weeks mid August We are flying from London to Milan are spending one week in Lake Maggiore before travelling from Stresa by train to Wengen where we are staying for one week before travelling to Zurich by train and flying home to UK.After a great deal of investigations and support from this forum and trip advisor we decided to get Bernese Oberland passes- there are 6 of us travelling. I have not yet purchased as have been very preoccupied as in the intervening period my father has developed bone cancer and has deteriorated significantly. We still plan to go ahead but now will need to take him in a wheelchair. I would be really grateful fro any advice and tips for travelling please. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2017 at 14:47:49 #865763

I’m so sorry to hear about his condition. I very much hope you can all make it a memorable trip! If he can walk short distances a foldable wheelchair would be handy. If he can’t, I’d suggest to try to minimize the number of changes during train and cableway trips. E.g. visiting Jungfraujoch from Wengen is just one change. Visiting Schilthorn requires 4 changes.

You’ll find a lot of information on http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/passengers-with-reduced-mobility.html. As far as I know the discounts are only for Swiss residents, but assistance to board trains is available for everyone.

• The thread ‘Traveling in Switzerland with father in wheelchair’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.