Trekking from Chexbres to Rivaz with kids

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 6:27:22 #809009

Hi, we are 2 adults & 2 kids of age 10& 7, travelling swiss next month. we have planned to visit to Lavaux vineyard on May 15th. we will be reaching chexbres by train & planned to trek along the vineyard to Rivas – st.saphorin and then will catch the ferry to chillon.

My question is

1. Howmuch time will be needed to trek in a relaxed manner?

2. will it be possible for kids to trek along?

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    25 April 2016 at 6:55:24 #851198

Hi drvelraj,

Hiking paths in the Lavaux vineyards are mostly paved and not too difficult, so if your children are used to some hiking they should be fine with it. Mind that the route you’ve selected does involve some descending, as Chexbres is located at a higher altitude than Rivaz and St. Saphorin. I’d estimate hiking times to be anywhere between 1h and 1h30, strongly depending on your pace and the amount of breaks you take along the way. In any case, it’s a beautiful area; I happened to walk a similar route (Epesses-Rivaz-St. Saphorin-Corseaux) yesterday.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 11:45:34 #851200

Thanks for your valuable inputs

Hi Annika, Hows the grapevine looking at this season? budding or with fruits?

Annika
    7121 posts
    25 April 2016 at 15:38:43 #851201

Hi drvelraj,

First of all, in my previous answer I assumed you actually meant Chexbres, and not the larger railway station of Chexbres-Puidoux. If that’s the one you’ll be starting from, you’ll have to add significant times to the 1h to 1h30 I mentioned, as Chexbres-Puidoux is quite far from Chexbres-Village. For instance, from Chexbres-Puidoux you’ll first have to walk either 35 minutes to Epesses (where you can continue to Rivaz/St. Saphorin in about 1h30) or 45 hours to Chexbres, where your descent to Rivaz/St. Saphorin will start.

The vineyards are just starting to grow right now. They’re already pretty, but not very green or blossoming yet. You’ll be visiting in about two two three weeks and that will definitely make a difference. I expect the grapevines to look a lot greener by that time, provided though that weather doesn’t stay as unusually cold as it is right now. The worst cold is expected to be over within a couple of days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2016 at 5:50:22 #851202

Actually we are hiking from chexbres village only

@ slowpoke, the maps are very useful

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 April 2016 at 6:47:27 #851203

Thanks.

If you have any interest in paper maps, you are likely to be able to buy paper maps at most convenience stores for the immediate region near the town you are in. The may be less common with the greater use of smartphone maps these days……that used to be very common. Large cities still have stationery stores. They have all the topos.

A very detailed one-25,000 sheet that covers most of the area but does not reach all the way to St. Saphorin (#1243 Lausanne) costs about 15-18 CHF. The map border is about 1 km east of Rivaz. If you wanted complete coverage, then, you’d have to also get #1244 Chatel-St-Denis.

Map borders are always designed to make you buy two maps. ;-(

Unfortunately, the useful 1:50,000 Wanderkarte #261T Lausanne, marked to show the designated Wanderwege, and costing about 25 CHF, also has the same map boundary.

Those maps will be overkill for you.

You’ll be able to see where you are going, and your only issue will be to pick amongst the pathways through the vineyards. With the online map you could get a screen grab and print it for the small area you are covering, if you wanted to.

I keep the paper maps for planning and use them frequently, so i can sort of justify the cost. And, I’ve been getting them a few at a time over 36 years, from long before the excellent resources of SwissTopo were available on the Internet.. 😉

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 May 2016 at 12:58:04 #851204

Hi drvelraj,

We just received an automatic spam complaint from you. Did you move any of the e-mails from our website to your junk folder perhaps? If so, please undo that, as I assume you prefer to keep receiving our e-mails. If this is intentionally, you can unsubscribe from any of our e-mails through your account.

Thanks!

• The thread ‘Trekking from Chexbres to Rivaz with kids’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.