Zurich to Lugano Sept. 7-17 itinerary help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 6:17:43 #867776

Hi Nadeem,

The Swiss Travel Pass covers your ticket cost on the Gotthard Panorama Express but you still must reserve your seats which is an extra cost.

My previous post explained how to make the class upgrade (several options) and a link to make your to a website to make your reservations.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 15:41:10 #867777

Hi Lucas

I just wanted to find out if I can do my Gotthard train booking once I get to Zurich on the 8th for travelling on the 13th. Do you think that would be ok or should I do it now before I leave USA. Its about five days in advance or you feel these trains are really packed and safer to do now than later.

Thanks.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2017 at 16:32:43 #867778

Hi Nadeema-

<<“. Its about five days in advance or you feel these trains are really packed and safer to do now than later.”>>

If you check the timetable

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

for September 13th ( or any other day) from Flüelen to Bellinzona with a via of Göschenen, you will see the trains on the Gottahard Panorama Express as well as others on that route.

Each journey has a set of symbols showing expected occupancy. None are heavy.

To understand last minute bookings, I checked one or two days ahead from today, but the occupancy symbols did not appear for those days… Don’t know why.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 17:07:49 #867779

You might be ok 5 days before if you want to wait until you are here (if you aren’t sure now that you will go).

Of course there is a chance it is full – the symbols mentioned by Slowpoke are quite useful (when they work!).

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2017 at 19:20:10 #867780

Hi Lucas-

I checked again to make sure.

I may have been mistaken.

None of the trains have a symbol in red for Very High occupancy.

However, many do have the symbol with two bold print people, which means “High Occupancy.”

Not all trains show that symbol; some show ” Low to Average occupancy.

I ‘m not sure how large Nadeema’s party is, but, it could be wise to reserve early, in order to get seats together.

There are trains once per hour from Flüelen, where the Gotthad Panoramic Express ends its section on the lake and continues on the train.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 19:27:24 #867781

Thank you guys. You are such s great help. We are only three adults. If that helps. But I guess you are right. I will go on the happy rail website link you had sent me and will make the reservation. They are charging 28 euros per person just for reservation. Do you think that is ok. Or do you know any other cheaper option.

Thsnks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2017 at 1:13:50 #867782

>> I will go on the happy rail website link you had sent me and will make the reservation. They are charging 28 euros per person just for reservation. Do you think that is ok. Or do you know any other cheaper option.

In Swiss Francs the cost is CHF 24 per person, so 28 Euros does seem to incorporate a bit of a mark-up in addition to the exchange rate.

You can also book on the SBB site, but if doing so with a Visa Card the transaction may fail. There doesn’t seem to be any problem with MasterCard.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/panorama-trips/travelling-gotthard-panorama-express.html

The seat reservation fee includes more that a seat. The cost also covers the following:

> Experiences and presentations on the journey from Flüelen to Lugano (or vice versa)

> Services of a multilingual guide (four languages spoken) in the 1st class panorama coaches

> App or travel guide with information about the sights en route

You can also travel exactly the same route on a boat and regional trains without the need to pay for a reservation. If travelling 2nd class, this might be the better option, as 2nd class carriages don’t have the panoramic windows. However, they do apparently have a photographers’ carriage which has windows that can be opened.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 15:10:28 #867783

Thank you all. All of you are amazing and are such a great help. I did get seats reserved on happy rail in first class and I guess I need to pay another upgrade fee before boarding the train.

I guess I am now all set to go.

Thank you again.

Nadeem.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 August 2017 at 15:42:18 #867784

Hi Nadeem-

<<” I did get seats reserved on happy rail in first class and I guess I need to pay another upgrade fee before boarding the train.”>>

If you go from Luzern, the first part of the trip is on a lake boat. If you pick it up at Flüelen, that is the section on a train.

The conductors used to be able to take payments on the trains, but they are rather busy these days. Possibly, they could do it on the boat, because they are less rushed You would be wise to do as you say, preferably at a manned ticket counter at any station, so you can make it clear that you already have the reservations. I have bought upgrades on the lake boats, if I wanted to eat in the first class dining restaurant.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 16:48:33 #867785

Sounds good. Will do.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 21:33:29 #867786

Hi Lucas

Need your urgent advice. I am in Interlaken right now. Got here this evening. Planning to go to Jugarfrau tomorrow but it’s rain and clouds. Is it worth spending all this money with this weather. We are three in my family and don’t know what to do. If you see this message please reply asap. Let me know if we should go ahead or not.

The weather sucks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 23:39:39 #867787

Hi Nadeema,

It is always a tough call with poor weather in the mountains. The trip itself is quite a lot of fun and if you have nothing else planned it may still be a viable option to go (there is a fair bit to do when up at the top. Just be prepared to not have good views of the surrounding mountains etc and if you think it is too much money to go unless you get good weather and views then don’t go.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2017 at 5:16:57 #867788

That helps. I think than we will go as that is all we had planned for today. We will try our luck. Thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The thread ‘Zurich to Lugano Sept. 7-17 itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.