Trip report Sept 2018, day 15-Thun

• Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    4 February 2019 at 2:29:31 #819771

G is a Roman history nut so when he heard about Avenches, we had to put it on the itinerary. And as Murten isn’t far away and appealed to me, we decided to combine the two into a day trip.

Avenches used to be a Roman town called Aventicum. It’s quite small but was once quite large. There are only a few Roman ruins left as no one cared about saving them until the 19th century. The easiest ruin for us to get to from the station was the small amphitheatre. There is a medieval tower built into the side of it which houses a museum with Roman artifacts found in Avenches.

We spent some time there then walked back to the station and took a train to Murten. It’s a very cute little town with the best medieval ramparts in Switzerland. We walked partly around the ramparts and then through the town past a few old churches and shops.

We had done a lot of walking and I thought briefly about stopping in Bern on the way back to Thun. However, my feet were looking forward to a rest so we forgot about that idea.

Day 16: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-september-2018-day-16-thun

• The thread ‘Trip report Sept 2018, day 15-Thun’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.