Trip to Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Grindelwald

• PERRY
    Participant
    3 posts
    17 July 2022 at 23:07:09 #827797

My wife and I will be in Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Grindelwald. Would some please give advice on which order is best. It will be the middle of August. We have a Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days. Also, can you please recommend the best base to work from. Thank you so much for helping.

We want to see the following:

Lauterbrunnen

Grütschalp

Stechelberg

Schilthorn

Hike from Schilthorn back down to Murren

Trummbelbach Falls

Two night stay in Murren

Grindelwald

Mannlichen

Eiger Trail

Alpiglen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2022 at 0:01:02 #944419

It doesn’t matter where you stay. All the places in the so called ‘Jungfrau region‘ are a short ride away from one another (around 1 hour). The whole Jungfrau region is about the same size as one city in some of the larger busier countries in the world, eg Greater New York or Greater London.

By the way Grutschalp is just a small piece of land occupied by the station where you switch between the cable car and railway sections of the Bergbahn Lauterbrunnen Murren

Anna
    6382 posts
    18 July 2022 at 5:20:47 #944420

Hi Perry,

I agree with 1960man. These destinations are all located within the same region and are easily accessible from each other. However if you’re looking for a place to stay in the mountains, I recommend either Grindelwald or Mürren. Lauterbrunnen sits in the valley between these two.

Here are some useful links to help you in your search for accommodation:

Regards,

Anna

PERRY
    Participant
    3 posts
    18 July 2022 at 9:34:56 #944421

Thank you.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    19 July 2022 at 2:49:54 #944422

Hi Perry

You’ve got all the important places on your list.

A couple of tips. First, the hike down from the Schilthorn is about 5 kms and it’s downhill all the way which some people find very hard on the knees. If you need to make it a bit easier you can walk to Birg and catch the cable car down the rest of the way. Second, Alpiglen is really just a train stop on the line between Grindelwald and Kleine Scheidegg with a mountain hotel. It’s popular with hikers because they can break their walk to Wengen if they leave Grindelwald too late (like I did) and with day trippers on the Eiger Trail who stop and have lunch there. Likewise, Stechelberg is not a destination but rather a carpark for the cable car station to Muerren, so if you don’t want to take the cable car from the valley floor you don’t have to go there. Alternatively, a popular walk is to take the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp then walk to Muerren. It’s flat (by Swiss standards) with fantastic views of the mountains.

I hope this helps,

Cheers

Alan

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 July 2022 at 10:16:12 #944423

Thanks for your input Alan! Much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Trip to Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.