Uncertainty abounds

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2011 at 9:11:50 #804132

Greetings from Virginia, USA.
    My wife and I will be visiting Switzerland for 8 days beginning March 25. We are staying in Zurich and I will need to visit Basel and Baar on business while we there. My wife will tour Zurich while I am gone. We also would like to do as much touring ourside of Zurich as we can while we are there. We are thinking of a couple of excursions out of Zurich, maybe to Zungfrajoch or the Glacier Express.

I am thinking of purchasing the Swiss Pass more out of convenience rather than saving money, but I don’t want to waste money either. If I buy the saver option for us, do we need to travel together to use the card? If I go to Basel, can my wife tour Zurich while I am in Basel?

I can really use some advice. the Swiss Pass website is extensive, but leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

Thank you in advance.
    Jackson

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    20 February 2011 at 10:42:57 #832215

Welcome Jackson! Good to hear that you’ll be able to combine business and pleasure! A Swiss Pass is indeed a convenient option. If you’ll use it for some long trips such as the ones you mentioned, you will certainly not be wasting money. A Swiss Saver Pass is a single ticket for two or more people. It can be used by one of you, but the other one cannot use it at the same time. If your wife will be in and around Zurich while you are on your business trips, she can purchase regular tickets, a Zurich day pass or a Zurich Card. It really depends on how much traveling she has planned. An alternative would be for each of you to purchase a Swiss Pass to be totally independent.

Did you read our Swiss Pass page? It contains a lot of details and a link to a map about all included discounts. If you have more questions, feel free to post them here!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2011 at 5:26:35 #832216

Thank you, Arno. I was unaware of the Zurich day pass or the Zurich Card. I appreciate the helpful information.

Thank you again.
    Jackson

• The thread ‘Uncertainty abounds’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.