Activity suggestions Neuchâtel & Murten September

• Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 September 2017 at 4:30:19 #813205

Hello folks,

Usually it is me who is posting suggestions for people who have started a thread, but today things are the other way around. I am arriving in Bâle on September 13, renting a car, and will be visiting Switzerland and perhaps a bit of neighbouring France and Germany until October 4. I will be based mostly near the cities of Neuchâtel and Morat/Murten, and am looking for suggestions of activities. Some that are already on my radar are the Breitling International Air Show in Sion, Chaplin’s World in Vevey, and closer to Morat, the old city of Fribourg, les Gorges de la Jogne, and the Juanpass. I’ll probably go back for another look at Gruyères after so many years. Looking forward to any and all suggestions ! I mention Romandie in my title but I am not averse to excursions to other parts of the country. Distances are short and it is amazing how far one can go in a day in a rental car with a vignette. Merci beaucoup.

Edit: Ooops. Forgot to mention Clin d’Ailes (le Musée de l’Aviation Militaire) in Payerne (very close to Morat). It looks like their website is in French only: http://www.clindailes.ch

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 14:46:51 #869556

Hello Peterli

You don’t say whether you only intend to use the car or are willing to use public transport?

Have you done the 3-lakes cruise?

What about St. Peters Insel?

The vine path from Biel all along the lake to Neuville is beautiful – you can walk one way and return by train – there is a nice place to eat lunch in Twann – about half-way.

Maggie

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 September 2017 at 15:08:20 #869557

Hi Maggie,

I will be using my car as much as possible but am not averse to using public transport when it is the only sensible option. I have cruised on Lac Lucerne, Lac Thoune, and le Léman, but never the Three Lakes, os that is a great idea for a nice clear sunny day.

I have walked half of the way along the St. Petersinsel after parking my car in Erlach. I thought it would be fun sometiime to do the entire length by bicycle. Perhaps this is the year !

I’ve driven along the 5 between la Neuveville and Bienne many times, and last Autumn I parked my car in Gléresse (Ligerz) and walked up through the vinyards to the Église and over to where the funi comes down from Prêles. It is indeed a lovely area and I wouldn’t mind doing more walking along that shore of the lake. What is the name of the place you mention for lunch in Twann ? That sounds like a great idea.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 15:27:08 #869558

Hi Peterli

Unfortunately I don’t know the name of the place where we had lunch in Twann – it was back in 2011 we were there! I just remember it was about half-way along what was the main street through the village – sorry. It was quite small and had tables out on the pavement if I recall. Being somewhat elderly we had decided to do just half the trail and walked from Biel to Twann, had a late lunch then went by train to Neuville for a look round there. later in the week we trained to Neuville, walked to Twann, had lunch again then returned to our base in Biel by boat!

Maggie

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 September 2017 at 16:12:56 #869559

Hi Maggie,

That sounds like a neat combination of travel methods; walking, train, and boat !

• The thread ‘Activity suggestions Neuchâtel & Murten September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.