Update on cell phones

• Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    19 October 2010 at 8:31:19 #804103

Hello,
    We have returned from our wonderful trip to Swizterland! Like most of you, we cannot wait to go back! I just wanted to tell you about our cell phone purchase. We were 5 adults traveling and , for peace of mind, we purchased 2 cell phones to be used locally in Switzerland. We did this at the Orange store at Zurich airport. The entire transaction only took about 15 minutes. We bought 2 prepaid cell phones that also included SFR10 worth of minutes for 78 Swiss francs- this included minutes and texts. In 2 weeks we used them to keep track of each other when our family split up, and never had to put any more money on the phones. For 2 weeks of travel, it was a bargain and a comfort. We did not use them to call the states or other countries so I cannot address the cost of that.

Thanks to all of you for the various advice you gave me in planning the trip. It really helped!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 October 2010 at 6:37:03 #832126

Hi Vlasta,

Thanks for sharing your cell phone experiences! I’m sure that will help other travelers. I’m glad this forum could help you do the planning and that you like Switzerland. Please feel free to drop by again to prepare for your next trip, or to help others.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2010 at 23:33:32 #832127

use vopium service instead. it uses wifi and very very cheap. for 750 minutes calling from swiss to india is only 10 euro..

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 November 2010 at 3:15:50 #832128

Thanks for your tip about Vopium nitinzabak! I didn’t know that service, but it sounds like a good deal.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2011 at 4:39:21 #832129

meh, I would probably just take my phone and use it there, but I guess the roaming costs would be really high :/ Except if you have some sort of special plan for abroad.

• The thread ‘Update on cell phones’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.