Upgrading from 2nd Class to 1st Class

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2011 at 6:33:56 #804197

Hi there

I did ask in the past a few questions and do want to thank you for your quick responses, but I am not finished……
    We can not make up our minds to buy 1st or 2nd class swiss passes.
    Not having travel by train to such an extend as we plan to do, could you indicate what the biggest adavantes will be if we do buy a 1st class swiss pass instead of a 2nd class pass.
    If we do decide to buy a 2nd class ticket can we upgrade it to a 1st class when we do want to travel the longer distances as comfort can then be a issue and we do want to have a seat traveling from Laussane to Zermat and Lucerne to Logano.
    If we can upgrade can you indicate what such an upgrade per person cost?
    Can we book seats for both journeys having 2nd class passes and what will the bookings cost be?
    If seat booking can be made, how long before the time must the bookings be made?
    Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 April 2011 at 9:32:55 #832474

Hi ansac,

The difference between 1st and 2nd class can be found in our FAQ. You can purchase an upgrade for any trip. You would pay the price difference between 2nd and 1st class (on average 60% of the 2nd class price). Prices can be found through the timetable. Booking seats is not necessary for domestic journeys, unless you’re planning to take a panoramic tourist train or international train. Please review the seat reservation page for details. You can book seats until just before departure, but if you know you’ll travel on a specific train, it’s better to book well in advance. It is possible 2 or 3 months ahead of time, depending on the train.

Does this help you decide?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2011 at 17:54:20 #832475

I was going to Lauterbrunnen with my wife in Jan2011 and was deciding 1st or 2nd class for the journey starting at Geneva.I decided that the extra cost of 1st class was too much and did not regret this.We found the 2nd class seats were very comfortable and had plenty of room,the only drawback was the shortage of room for suitcases.This said I thoroughly enjoyed the journey as I’m sure you will,but a word of warning make sure you know the platform numbers you need if you have to change trains as the trains leave spot on time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2011 at 3:11:21 #832476

Thank you for your quick response.
    Regards
    [quote]Arno said: Hi ansac,

The difference between 1st and 2nd class can be found in our FAQ. You can purchase an upgrade for any trip. You would pay the price difference between 2nd and 1st class (on average 60% of the 2nd class price). Prices can be found through the timetable. Booking seats is not necessary for domestic journeys, unless you’re planning to take a panoramic tourist train or international train. Please review the seat reservation page for details. You can book seats until just before departure, but if you know you’ll travel on a specific train, it’s better to book well in advance. It is possible 2 or 3 months ahead of time, depending on the train.

Does this help you decide?[/quote]

• The thread ‘Upgrading from 2nd Class to 1st Class’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.