US to Swiss plugs, need voltage converters?

• CapeCodTeach
    Participant
    6 posts
    23 May 2022 at 19:10:49 #827280

I don’t think I need anything other than a plug adapter for my Samsung cell phone… But… I am going to buy a power bank so I can charge my cell phone while on the train. Does that need anything to convert the voltage when I charge it, or do I just plug it into a C or J type adapter? I don’t want to damage my electronics, but I just don’t understand the 220/110 voltage differences or how I know what kind of converters I need!? Thanks in advance for letting me know what to buy, as we leave in just one week!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    23 May 2022 at 20:16:58 #942231

Hi CapeCodTeach,

If you have a multi-voltage chargers all you need is a travel adapter (from US – CH). These are readily available at the shops.

Regards,

Anna

Turgon
    Participant
    36 posts
    24 May 2022 at 12:18:05 #942232

Most power banks are re-charged using USB (either micro-USB or USB-C), so you use the same charger you use for your cell phone, and charge the power bank exactly as you charge your phone. And I believe all phone chargers are multi-voltage, meaning you should only need plug adapters (I bought a set of 3 US-to-J plug adapters off Amazon for like $13 US).

CapeCodTeach
    Participant
    6 posts
    24 May 2022 at 13:37:06 #942233

Thank you all for your help!

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 May 2022 at 12:29:01 #942234

Hi CapeCodTeach! This page might be helpful too: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/swissoutlet.

Turgon
    Participant
    36 posts
    25 May 2022 at 12:33:02 #942235

Are the 2 pin connectors Type C? I only have the 3 pin type J. Wondering if I should bring a 2 pin type C with me, just in case the outlets in our hotel room are 2 pin (I think that’s doubtful, but what do I know? LOL)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2022 at 6:15:15 #942236

Hi Turgon,

sorry but I do not know what you mean by ‘2 pin connectors Type C’. Can you take a photo about what you have?

Thanks,

Ildiko

Turgon
    Participant
    36 posts
    26 May 2022 at 9:38:43 #942237

I don’t have anything. with 2 pins. 🙂 As I say, this site says Switzerland uses either 2 pin or 3 pin outlets. I have the 3 pin version (type J). So I presume the 2 pin version is the standard European 2 pin outlet, also known as type C.

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/c/

And if my hotel room only has 2 pin outlets, and all I have is 3 pin adapters, I won’t be able to plug anything in.

Anna
    6382 posts
    27 May 2022 at 5:10:01 #942238

Hi Turgon,

Most likely you will need to get an adapter. These are usually readily available in the shops or you can get them from various online shops before your trip.

More details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/swissoutlet

Regards,

Anna

Turgon
    Participant
    36 posts
    27 May 2022 at 9:46:05 #942239

As I say, I have the 3 pin adapter. But that link you sent says that Switzerland uses both 2 pin outlets, and 3 pin outlets. So my 3 pin outlet adapters I have won’t work in 2 pin outlets. 🙂

So I’m trying to find out if the 2 pin outlet is the standard European style type C 2 pin outlet, so I know which 2 pin adapter to buy.

I’ll just pick up a couple of the type Cs, just to be sure.

Thanks

Anna
    6382 posts
    27 May 2022 at 16:39:03 #942240

Hi Turgon,

Switzerland uses type C (2-pin) and Type J (3-pin) plugs. You should be able to use standard Europlug (2 pin Type C) adapters on Swiss plugs. But this is not always the case.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 May 2022 at 16:50:56 #942241

Hi Turgon. I see what you mean. 3-pin plugs/adapters indeed can’t be used in 2-pin outlets. Many Swiss wall sockets have the J-type 3-pin shape though, so you normally shouldn’t have issues finding a socket in which your adapter fits.

Most European type-C 2-pin plugs/adapters can be used in type J 3-pin Swiss sockets too.

If you want to be sure you’ll always have a suitable adapter, then yes, it makes sense to get a type C 2-pin adapter as well. Unless you bought a 3-pin adapter with a detachable pin (which do exist as far as I know).

Know that most hotels can provide you with an adapter, if needed.

Power outlets are available in quite some Swiss trains, especially in first class and in business zones, but not in all trains/zones yet.

• The thread ‘US to Swiss plugs, need voltage converters?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.