Using dual sim card and travelling in Switzerland

• JLOD
    Participant
    2 posts
    20 May 2022 at 16:48:05 #827239

I will be traveling in several European countries this summer, including Switzerland, and am trying to figure out my phone plans. Three years ago for a similar trip, I brought along an old phone, put in an Orange travel sim, and used that to hotspot to my phone for data.

Now I am reading about Dual Sims, which I discovered my iphone has, but I have a couple questions and I would be grateful if someone with experience could help!

Basically, my goal is to be able to use the cheap data of a travel sim like Airalo or Orange, but still be able to view missed calls and incoming texts on my normal ATT line, especially since a lot of my usual accounts require two factor authentification via text. (I would return missed calls/texts using wi-fi calling and imessage.)

Here’s what I don’t understand:

1) Can I have “data roaming” off on my ATT line and be sure that I won’t get data bills?

2) Do I put my ATT line on “wi-fi calling” and if so, how do I get it to use the travel sim network for that wi-fi?

3) Do I put the ATT line on airplane mode? Or would that prevent calls/texts from coming through to? Can I use the data of the travel sim, but still receive texts/missed call notifications on my ATT line, without incurring international charges on it?

Basically, how do I this so that I can see calls/texts on home line, but use the data of the travel sim and not accidentally get charged tons of money?? It’s tough to figure out, since the travel sim only works in Europe, so I can’t see how the dual sims work or play around with it until I’m there.

Thank you so much if any has the answers!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    20 May 2022 at 18:24:14 #942099

Hi JLOD,

This all sounds very technical and I really can’t help much, sorry. But I’m sure there’s someone on the forum that might be able to offer some insights.

Be sure to check this out for some useful information on alternative options for simcard and wifi services in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/simcard

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 May 2022 at 14:15:29 #942100

Hi JLOD,

I don’t know if you can make these settings for each SIM separately. It might even be phone dependent. You can try this at home by inserting a second SIM and see what your options are.

A simple solution is to get mobile Wifi (see Anna’s link), instead of a second SIM card. You would simply leave your AT&T SIM inserted and disable mobile data all together or just disable roaming. You would access internet through Wifi, just like you would do in an hotel for example, or at home.

• The thread ‘Using dual sim card and travelling in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.