Using German 9 Euro train ticket to Switzerland

• msram
    Participant
    4 posts
    17 June 2022 at 14:59:39 #827525

I propose to travel in to Switzerland from Germany. I am holding a 9 Euro German rail pass (bahn.com).

Can some one suggest to me the nearest German station to which I can reach for travelling to Lucerne?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    17 June 2022 at 15:31:15 #943333

Hi msram,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

You did not mention from which city or part of Germany you are travelling from so it is difficult for me to determine the nearest German border town to Lucerne. In general you’d either be travelling via Basel or St Margrethen.

You can find information about tickets from Germany to Switzerland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/germany

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

msram
    Participant
    4 posts
    17 June 2022 at 16:07:41 #943334

Hi Anna! Thank you for your quick reply.

1. I propose to come from Stuttgart /Freiburg direction and travel to Lucerne
    2. I am informed that one can travel with 9 Euro pass into some Swiss Rail stations too, there seems to be understanding between db and sbb in this regard
    3. I am attaching below an advise from a German Rail expert: As far as I know, you can travel to Basel, but not to Zurich with the 9 Euro Ticket. The RVL (public transportation company near there) writes: “Das 9-Euro-Ticket gilt im gesamten RVL-Gebiet; dazu gehört auch die S-Bahnlinie S6 einschließlich der beiden Bahnhöfe Basel Badischer Bahnhof und Basel SBB. Darüber hinaus gilt das Ticket jedoch nicht im angrenzenden Ausland, das heißt es gilt auf grenzüberschreitenden Linien (z.B. Linie 38, Linie 55) nur im deutschen Teil bis zur Landesgrenze.” This means that you should be able to use the train S6 until Basel SBB or Basel Bad Bahnhof. But only to those stations. I don’t think you can travel to Zurich, though.

Can the Swiss experts react to the advise in item 3 advise?

Anna
    6384 posts
    18 June 2022 at 8:20:36 #943335

Hi msram,

As far as I know the 9-Euro ticket is only valid in Germany. You can use it to travel up to the nearest Swiss border town. In your case, it’s likely Basel SBB. From Basel SBB to Lucerne, you need additional ticket.

For information about point-to-point tickets in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 June 2022 at 10:29:50 #943336

Hi msram! As Anna pointed out the 9 euro-ticket is only valid within Germany. This means you can use this ticket to reach Swiss towns at the Swiss-German border, such as Basel, but not towns within Switzerland, such as Zurich. So the answer you got from the German expert makes perfect sense.

Also be aware that the 9 euro-ticket is valid on German regional / local trains only. You can’t use it for long-distance trains such as IC, ICE and EC trains.

msram
    Participant
    4 posts
    21 June 2022 at 12:13:37 #943337

Thank you team

• The thread ‘Using German 9 Euro train ticket to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.