Valid licenses for driving rental car Switzerland

• Audy
    Participant
    25 posts
    30 May 2022 at 16:22:42 #827354

Hi everyone. I have question regarding rental car in Switzerland.

I finally know which car and from what site we will book. But I read in their term and condition about the requirement. They said the driver must bring and show id card/passport, driver lisence and credit card. And they said the driver must have held those documents at least for 1 year. Is that mean for international driver lisence too? Because, I will make my international driver lisence or permit this coming week. And we will be in Switzerland in October. So my international driver lisence will not be a year old yet. Can I still rent a car there?

Anyone can help? Thank you 🙏🏼😊

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6351 posts
    30 May 2022 at 17:09:38 #942572

Hi Audy,

No worries. You can show both your international drivers’ license as well as your local license. The rental company just needs proof that you have been driving for longer than 1 year.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2022 at 23:32:05 #942573

An International Driving Permit is just a separate document that has information copied from your home country license which thus confirms – via an agreed international document – your driving license status in your home country.

Audy
    Participant
    25 posts
    31 May 2022 at 0:26:30 #942574

Hi again, Anna 😊

I was so worried that I have to postpone my trip or change the plan.

So basically, I just have to show both lisences, local and international?

I am affraid to lose the money if I failed to bring all the correct documents.

Thank you very much.🙏🏼😊

Anna
    6351 posts
    31 May 2022 at 6:11:26 #942575

Hi Audy,

That’s right. You just need to present both licenses when you pick up the car.

Regards,

Anna

Audy
    Participant
    25 posts
    31 May 2022 at 10:13:40 #942576

Ok, I understand.

Basically, International Driving Permit works with my local driver lisence.

So, the plans still go 😀🙏🏼

Thank you everyone for the info. I’ll contact again when I have more questions. 🙏🏼😊

• The thread ‘Valid licenses for driving rental car Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.