Validity Swiss train tickets & Grindelwald visit

• Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    14 July 2022 at 20:39:22 #827773

My first question is to double check to make sure I understand. When buying point to point train tickets you can buy them the day of travel at the train station. That ticket is good for any train that day to the destination chosen. Is this correct? Second question; we are considering a tour to Interlaken-Grindelwald but a few of the reviews complain about 3 1/2 hrs in Grindelwald being too long. I saw that there may be a mini golf course, a cable ride up to Mt First and carriage rides in Grindelwald. Do you feel 3 1/2 hrs is too long? thanks for the help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2022 at 22:08:12 #944310

First question.

Yes, you are correct. You can buy a railway ticket in Switzerland up to a few seconds before you board a train, either at a manned ticket office or an automatic ticket machine (every railway station in Switzerland has an automatic ticket machine of a standard type)

Second question.

It is impossible to say how long any particular tourist thinks they need to stay in any one place. Grindelwald is a pleasant mountain town. Some people would gladly spend several hours there. Others might have a brief look round, then go onto somewhere else.

Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    15 July 2022 at 0:08:00 #944311

thank you so much for your quick reply. I just want to make sure I understand. once we buy a ticket we can use it on any train that day going to the destination we chose. thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2022 at 22:05:44 #944312

Yes, on regular trains that is correct

For example, as I sometimes do, you can leave your hotel, visit the station and buy a ticket, put it in your pocket, then go and do some shopping or for a local walk before going to get a train later.

Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    16 July 2022 at 1:49:25 #944313

thank you. I hope this isn’t a stupid question but how do you know it’s a “regular” train. we would be taking the train from zurich to Lucerne to Geneva and then to Basel. thanks for the help

Anna
    6382 posts
    16 July 2022 at 7:00:42 #944314

Hi Njk50,

Most trains operated by Swiss railways are considered regular trains. The other version is called panoramic or scenic trains (e.g. Glacier Express and Bernina Express), which are usually labelled as PE on the SBB timetable and require prior seat reservation. You can find more info on this page for example (just scroll down to the relevant section Regular trains vs Glacier Express): http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress. Our pages on other scenic train routes are listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/scenictrips/train.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Validity Swiss train tickets & Grindelwald visit’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.