Claiming a VAT refund in Geneva

• sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    15 October 2018 at 20:44:19 #818707

All,

I will be going from Geneva to Paris in TGV. I might buy some stuff in Switzerland. Now, how do I get the VAT stamp from Swiss customs when I am going from Geneva to Paris? Appreciate your response.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2018 at 22:55:31 #897985

There is a booth in the customs hall that you pass through to ‘cross the border’ into France on the way to platforms 7/8 but as the area isn’t staffed all the time because its a Schengen open border it may not be open.

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    16 October 2018 at 4:14:33 #897986

Thats a bummer. The schengen makes it easy to cross borders but makes it difficult for VAT returns. They should fix this issue actually

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2018 at 6:52:48 #897987

Hi Sreraku,

Our Partner, http://www.travelerswifi.com, has a good article on claiming VAT when leaving Switzerland you might find helpful: http://www.travelerswifi.com/ blog/vat-how-to-get-it-back-and-save-on-shopping-in-switzerland/

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    19 October 2018 at 15:44:27 #897988

If you leave Switzerland without getting the appropriate documentation, you won’t be able to deal with it later. We were fortunate to find an official in Basle coming from Paris to Switzerland, otherwise we would have lost the VAT refund. Airports do not have this issue, it’s the train stations that are either not staffed at all or just part time. There’s a lot of online information about how you can get the refund once you return home, but that almost never works and it involves getting a consulate involved, etc. .

• The thread ‘Claiming a VAT refund in Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.