Venice to Lucerne in June – route options

• davey1108
    Participant
    16 posts
    16 October 2022 at 18:49:10 #828522

Hi folks,

Going from Venice to Lucerne in June and flights look to not only be expensive (I know they can go down), but most also involved a connection.

What are our other options?

Is there an overnight train?

Is the Gotthard Panorama Express an experience that would be ideal even if longer than flying?

TIA!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2022 at 0:10:08 #947837

Venice (Venezia) to Luzern by air is a waste of time as the rail connection is just as fast overall and pretty convenient under normal circumstances

The route is Venezia – Milano – Chiasso – Arth Goldau – Luzern and the quickest journey time is 7 hours and 3 minutes with 2 changes (at Milano and Arth Goldau)

Personally I think the Gotthard panorama express is not worth the effort, just take the regular trains – if you want to go over the old Gotthard mountain route use the hourly Treno Gottardo trains. If you want to get quickly from Venezia to Luzern, leave mountain excursions for another day and go via the Gotthard base tunnel route

davey1108
    Participant
    16 posts
    17 October 2022 at 1:19:58 #947838

Is Venezia – Milano – Chiasso – Arth Goldau – Luzern the “Gotthard base tunnel route?”

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    17 October 2022 at 2:11:51 #947839

My wife & i went from Luzern to Lugano & Locarno on two different days last week, both on non-stop trains through the Gotthard tunnel. The trains had IC, IR, or EC designations. Depending on departure time, those same trains may require one or two train changes, but we chose the non-stop options, which took 1h 39m. Add 25 minutes or so for Chiasso. I have no experience in sorting through Italian train options, so offer no opinion, but I agree with 1960man on the efficiency of the fast trains via the tunnel route.

davey1108
    Participant
    16 posts
    17 October 2022 at 3:14:29 #947840

Rome2Rio suggests there’s a direct train from Venezia S Lucia to Lugano; is that accurate? Says it would take around 4:10.

Anna
    6382 posts
    17 October 2022 at 7:27:42 #947841

Hi davey1108,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

I agree with 1960man’s suggestion to take the train instead of flights. Indeed you can find direct connections from Venice to Lugano, and even more regular train services between Milan and Lugano. You can find details about tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

If you have time and prefer a scenic journey, you can take the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lugano to Lucerne. You can find details about the route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress/gettingthere

Alternatively, you can take a regular train from Lugano to Lucerne. Regular train services usually travel through the Gotthard tunnel, except for Treno Gottardo which takes you over the mountain. You can check train schedules here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Let us know if you have further questions.

regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2022 at 21:35:33 #947842

Yes.

EC308 runs direct from Venezia to Zurich, so you can avoid the change in Milano and then get to southern Switzerland or Luzern with 0 or 1 change:

• The thread ‘Venice to Lucerne in June – route options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.