Is the Via Alpina passable in spring?

• jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    6 November 2016 at 1:15:30 #810322

Can anyone offer an opinion on when the trail might be passable starting from Sargans? I keep reading about snow not melting from some passes even into July but I don’t know how this applies to the passes on this route.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    6 November 2016 at 16:53:55 #856960

If you are referring to the classic Via Alpina route (over the highest passes including Sefinenfurge, Hohturli, Bundechrinde, etc) I would not attempt this until July, preferably mid July or later. Even the lower elevation (comparatively speaking) walks in the areas near the classic routing such as Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, First to Bachalpsee, and Schynige Platte to First often don’t open until June 15. Sometimes later if the winter season has come with deep snow and/or there are late storms.

We did the entire route (Sargans to Montreux) in August 2013 and did not encounter snow but heard that some of the passes still had some snow on them in July.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    6 November 2016 at 18:36:48 #856961

I kinda figured there would be im-passes. I got a glimmer of hope looking at the Lobhornhutte and Faulhornhutte sites. If read them right they are open for business in May. Prose about wildflowers. Something that comes up in my imagination but never in fact as I’ve only hiked in the fall before. Must be some pretty meadows. Any suggestions for spring hikes? Actually more likely to be there late May and June. Up the VA from Montreaux?

Arno
    15482 posts
    9 November 2016 at 10:16:20 #856962

Hi jackdebear,

In late May and June quite some trails should be accessible. At least the ones up to 2000, perhaps 2500 m. Near Montreux, trails around Rochers-de-Naye, Les Plèiades, Mont Pèlerin will all be open.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    10 November 2016 at 14:24:14 #856963

That all sounds very encouraging. I’ll have to focus my eyes on the isolines in preparation but I can see there are going to be possibilities. Question: I’ve seen the fall event of the cattle coming down from the high medows several times. Is there a similar event going up in the spring?

• The thread ‘Is the Via Alpina passable in spring?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.