Via Alpina Red Route/Switzerland circumnavigation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2017 at 22:43:01 #813560

Hello, all. I’m looking to do a counter-clockwise walking circumnavigation of Switz next summer, in honor of my entering into Ruhestand. The route would be from Leichtenstein, heading south and then West on the Via Alpina red route, across southern Switz and Northern Italy to near Chamonix, then somehow connecting with the Green Route near Montreaux and taking that back East to Sargans, across the Bernese Oberland, etc. I’m finding lots of intel and books on the Green Route, but virtually nothing on the Swiss and Italian portions of the Red Route, other than the general Via Alpina web page, which I don’t find terribly informative. In fact, I’m beginning to wonder if anyone actually walks this portion of the Red Route as a long-distance hike.I’ve noted that Brandon Wilson and other Red Route end-to-enders (generally walking E-W) tend to leave the Red Route at Sargans and pick up the Green Route to cross Switz., and then rejoin the Red Route at the western end of the country. Are they just shaving off some miles, or do they know something that I don’t about the Swiss Red Route?

So, what is this Swiss/Italian part of the Red Route like to hike? Are there any guidebooks (in English or German) covering it? How much of it is in Italy, vs Switz? (I don’t speak any Italian, not even Monty Python Italian.) And, has anyone on the Forum done roughly this circumnavigation of Switzerland, combining the Red and Green Routes?

Thanks.

• The thread ‘Via Alpina Red Route/Switzerland circumnavigation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.