Can you see the Matterhorn in Zermatt?

• MiaSwed
    Participant
    4 posts
    29 May 2019 at 5:48:06 #821898

Is Matterhorn peak visible from Zermatt village or is it necessary to go to Gornergrat to see it? Or is there any other place to view it from where you can go using the Swiss travel pass? Grateful for advice. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    29 May 2019 at 20:35:52 #913551

Hello MiaSwed, and welcome to MySwissAlps

it is visible from Zermatt …when there are no clouds around it. If there are, then it won’t be visible from Gornergrat either.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2019 at 0:06:34 #913552

You will see the Matterhorn as soon as you arrive at Zermatt station. You can see it from different places around the village depending on what houses, hotels, flats etc are in the way or not, and how high up you go. Also, you need to be on the west side of the village to see the whole mountain.

Best way is to walk west down Getwingstrasse following the Gornergrat railway down to the river, then turn south and walk along the riverside

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2019 at 1:33:07 #913553

Hi MiaSwed – It seems that you have some good answers. I’ll simply add – Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    30 May 2019 at 11:19:37 #913554

I realize your question concerned the Matterhorn view using the STP but the Matterhorn is such an iconic and impressive feature you might reconsider your options. I have seen it from the west side of Zermatt and along the walk to Zmutt as well as from the Gornergrat summit and they are all nice views. But my personal opinion is the best view is from Riffelalp which is the 2nd or 3rd stop on the Gornergratbahn. See my thumbnail photo. There is a large field in front of the Riffelalp Hotel with an unobstructed view that’s great for photos and a nice open air restaurant with the same view.

Mark

• The thread ‘Can you see the Matterhorn in Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.