Visa required for Switzerland for UK citizen?

• Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    19 February 2019 at 3:44:05 #819995

Hello

A couple of questions:

1. I am a retired UK citizen living in Thailand. I hold a UK passport. Do I need a visa to go to Switzerland for a short holiday?

2. My wife and son have dual nationality and also live in Thailand. They hold both Thai and UK passports. If they use their UK passport, do they need a visa to enter Switzerland?

I do not think we need visas if we all use our UK passports even though we live in Thailand.

Many thanks for any help as I’m getting a bit confused looking at all the visa requirement websites.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2019 at 9:36:29 #904553

Hello Sweyne,

Nice to hear you and your family are coming for a visit.

The answer is simply NO, you DON’T NEED A VISA.

If you hold a British Passport, a so called EU/EFTA state passport, it doesn’t matter where you life. More so if you’re coming for a stay shorter than 90 days, which is usually the case.

For details use the links in the “Government and Visa” section of this link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Steph

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    19 February 2019 at 10:15:09 #904554

Many thanks for your quick reply …

• The thread ‘Visa required for Switzerland for UK citizen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.