Visiting Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in May

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Cassa
Cassa
21 posts
Jan 23, 2018 - 11:34 AM

is the Matterhorn Ice Palace open in early May? I can’t seem to see that information anywhere.

I know Zermatt has much more than just the Matterhorn - but it has been a dream since childhood to visit and I now have the chance.

cam223
cam223
76 posts
Jan 23, 2018 - 3:30 PM

I went to the Klein Matterhorn website and found it is open in May.

We took the Gornergrat train in late November and it was fun. We love to take trains so this was lots of fun for us. The hotel and restaurants were not open when we were there, just the cafeteria. We also went down to see the ice carvings which were ok--i guess we've been to other ice carving festivals that had a lot more carvings so we weren't that impressed. I wish we could have gone tobogganing but that wasn't possible. Instead some of us went snowboarding which was great.

Cassa
Cassa
21 posts
Jan 23, 2018 - 3:55 PM in reply to cam223

• Thank youthNk thank you

Last modified on Jan 23, 2018 - 3:57 PM by Cassa
Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Jan 23, 2018 - 4:20 PM in reply to Cassa

Hi Cassa and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I'm afraid I don't have good news. One of our forum members (Alpenrose) made us aware that the cable-way to Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise will be closed for maintenance between Trockener Steg and Klein Matterhorn from 30 April to 11 May 2018. When I play with the Swiss timetable it looks like it's already closed at 23 April.

Arno
Arno
11566 posts
expert &
Jan 23, 2018 - 6:47 PM in reply to Chantal

That's indeed when it is closed. It's weird that the timetable seems to think that the closure starts a week earlier, but that's probably a glitch in the timetable.

Cassa
Cassa
21 posts
Jan 27, 2018 - 6:02 AM

Devastating 😟

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018