Visp or Täsch to leave our car for a few days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 1:16:31 #815144

We will be travelling by car to Zermatt in mid-September. We will be staying in Zermat for 2-3 nights. I realise we can leave our hire car at either Visp or Tasch. Any suggestions to which is the best….I’m aware that hire car firms are very strict re damage to cars, so has anyone had good or bad experiences with either car parking stations?

We have a Swiss half fare card and reading the map, we get 50% off from either location.

Cheers

MezzaNewbs

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 8:33:53 #880974

Hi MezzaNewbs,

I’ve not tried it so I can’t give personal details. It is quite common for people to leave cars in Täsch (as you must) so I wouldn’t be concerned about leaving your car there – always good to have good insurance coverage of course!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 April 2018 at 8:51:17 #880975

<<“I’m aware that hire car firms are very strict re damage to cars, “>>

There a couple of things that you might consider.

1.- You can purchase what we call in the USA “collision damage waiver – CDW” – from the car rental company. They waive your responsibility for damage to the car for a daily fee. The fee can be quite expensive for a long trip, but it works easily.

2.- Many credit card companies include collision damage protection – protection for the cost of damage repair – as a service included at no extra charge if you use their credit card to make the rental. It tends to come with the more “premium” cards. That is, each company has a variety of credit cards, and some do or do not provide this feature. And, you must clearly specify at the time of rental that you “decline” the option available from the car rental company. If you use a credit card to rent, ask your card company about that provision.

I have had occasion to use it twice in Switzerland, renting on my American Express card. Both cases were for damage to a side mirror while backing up in a Swiss parking garage. Jet-lag or its residue contributed. What also contributed is concrete pillars in the garages, and close , small parking spaces, by USA standards. I have since learned to fold the mirrors close to the car, if possible. and too back up ( reverse) with extreme care.

But, the credit card coverage worked perfectly. The repair prices were excessive compared to typical costs to repair the same damage in the USA, but they were paid with no problem. Swiss perfectionism, no doubt. 😉

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 April 2018 at 13:35:30 #880976

Hi MezzaNewbs,

As Lucas says most people would park in Täsch. But you can park in Visp too, and take the direct train to Zermatt from there. The road from Visp to Täsch is a mountain road: a bit narrow and curvy here and there, but doable if you focus on the road and not on the scenery. I think parking in Visp might be considerable cheaper than in Täsch (CHF 15.50 per day).

http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt/travel

• The thread ‘Visp or Täsch to leave our car for a few days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.