Waldspitz – Rothenegghütte – Feld – Bussalp Walk

• Ginny32cat
    Participant
    6 posts
    24 August 2017 at 20:26:17 #813070

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me how family friendly (youngest is 3) the Waldspitz – Rothenegghütte – Feld – Bussalp walk is and how easy is it to follow – is the trail well signposted?

We have 2 adult Swiss Travel Passes and a family card – do we have to pay 50% for all or just for the adults?

Many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 August 2017 at 22:06:09 #868914

Hi Ginny32kat-

<<“Can anyone please tell me how family friendly (youngest is 3) the

Waldspitz – Rothenegghütte – Feld – Bussalp walk is and how easy is it

to follow – is the trail well signposted?”>>

I’ve never done it. It has altitude changes ranging on up to 350 meters at altitudes near 2000 meters. Makes you pant a lot if you are not accustomed to exertion at those altitudes.

This map in this link shows the trails:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&X=16 6998.16&Y=644115.38&zo om=7

There are some steep climbs, even though, overall, the trail only changes altitude by about 100 meters, end to end.

I judge from the map that it is not an easy trail, unless you are used to high altitude hiking on mountain trails..

I’d think it might be a bit much for 3 year old, unless the 3 year old is Swiss and was born with his/her hiking boots on and has a hiking staff or two made for someone his/her size. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 5:45:10 #868915

Hi Ginny32cat,

I haven’t done this hike either. We don’t have details about it on MySwissAlps, but I found a couple websites that might help you!

https://www.grindelwal dbus.ch/en/hiking-and-exursions/waldspitz

https://www.jungfrau.c h/en-gb/summer-sport/hiking/hiking-trail/4first-bachalpsee-waldspitz-bort-blumenweg-b06043/

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 August 2017 at 7:31:11 #868916

Hello Ginny32cat,

I’ve done the second section of the route a long time ago. I think I hiked from First to Bussalp that day. Apart from one rocky section which is not part of your route, I don’t recall it as overly challenging, so I would say it is family friendly. Always be careful of course. This is alpine terrain after all. You’ll find safety tips through myswissalps.com/hiking. The part I did not do does not seem to be a problem from what I can see from the map. The views will be wonderful if the weather’s cooperating!

Ginny32cat
    Participant
    6 posts
    25 August 2017 at 8:56:37 #868917

Thank you for all those replies and I am grateful to you for reminding me about the effect of altitude which had somewhat slipped my mind – your combined experience is invaluable for first time visitors like us! Think I might leave this one this time as we have identified a large number of other walks and numerous activities and trips we would like to do – whether they will all fit into our 8 days I am not sure but I guess if not we will just have to return!

Thanks again – this forum has been an invaluable source of information for planning our trip next week!

Ginny

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    25 August 2017 at 11:22:07 #868918

My wife and I hiked from First to Bachalpsee to Waldspitz to Bort.It is a beautiful hike and easy except the short section from Waldspitz to Bort which is short switchbacks downhill. You don’t need to go to Bort unless you want to take the chairlift. We just got tired waiting on the bus in Waldspitz for over an hour,but there is a nice outdoor restaurant with great weinerschnitzel and beer while you wait. The trail is not rocky at all and easy to find

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2017 at 16:16:49 #868919

Hi Marki –

It seems that you did not go on the trail(s) that Ginny asked about?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Waldspitz – Rothenegghütte – Feld – Bussalp Walk’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.