Walserweg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2012 at 9:57:53 #805189

I’ve never hiked in Switzerland. Hoping for something similar to Nepal. Not really interested in day hikes except perhaps for warm up. Having some trouble choosing a hike (or 3) and getting info. Saw this article – http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20110718-fresh-pastures – but there seems to be a particular lack of info about it. In Nepal food and lodging is pretty straight forward but I’m not getting anywhere fast with Swiss trails. I have about 3 week beginning mid September.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    29 April 2012 at 9:05:40 #835846

Hello bajay, and welcome to the forum! Could you be a bit more specific in your question? Are you looking for multiple day hikes, for example? In that case the Wanderland Schweiz website may be a good starting point. Browsing this forum will also provide you with information on long distance hikes. I hope that’s what you’re looking for.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2012 at 9:57:10 #835847

Long hikes, yes. Less than a week doesn’t feel right. I don’t have a month to spare. So 2 to 3 weeks is what I’m thinking.
    I’m just starting to look into this adventure. To some degree I have a romantic notion of rucksacks and William Tell hats. And of course everyone wants to avoid crowds. So the Walserweg area sounds good. But I’m not focused on the area. To some degree I will settle on a trail for which I can get good info.
    I’ve been to the site you suggested. There are some bits from them in the muddled mass of info I have. http://activityworkshop.net has been about the best source so far. In fact their section on the Via Alpina has me on a hook. If anyone has anything to offer re that trail…..
    I must sound silly. Just getting into it. Looked at the Monte Rosa and the Haute Route. For various reasons, not least the info I’ve stumbled into so far, the Via Aplina comes to the surface.
    Just to be conversational, I’m astounded by the preponderance of people doing day hikes. It’s not that i don’t understand. My wife isn’t up to long hikes and she’s planning some hub walks. Lots of info around for her plan. Mine is taking a little more digging.
    Thanks for you input.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2012 at 10:10:09 #835848

PS:
    One of the issues I’m trying to sort out is accommodation. I’m an old time traveling man a this business of making reservations is daunting. We never had to do that in the old daze. You would just work the grapevine along the road and have a short list of places to stay in the next place. I can’t believe the wife actually has hotel reservations for September.
    When it comes to a longer trek booking ahead makes even less sense. If anybody wants to help me understand this new travel reality in regards to, say the Via Apina, I’d appreciate it. I’ve been thinking of getting a sim for an old Iphone in Zurich. Hoping to avoid both booking way in advance and sleeping rough.

Annika
    7125 posts
    1 May 2012 at 12:54:53 #835849

Hi bajay! Careful planning is important indeed if you want to take long hikes at higher altitudes. Did you find the information on both the Via Alpina and the Walserweg at Wanderland? You’ll find detailed descriptions on each section, height profiles and tips for your overnight stays. This forum topic covers the Via Alpina too. And don’t forget to visit the website of the Swiss Alpine Club: their mountain huts are the best places to stay during such hikes. As for booking: although September isn’t as crowded as July and August, there are still lots of tourists and it’s an ideal month for such high altitude tours. In other words, smaller mountain huts may be fully booked. I think you should contact some of the huts along the route you have in mind to find out whether booking in advance is a must. A few days in advance may be enough, but I’m not sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2012 at 14:22:14 #835850

Thanks for the Walserweg link on the Wanderland site. I still can’t find that page starting from their home page. Also didn’t see the forum topic you sent although I did search through the topics. I’ve been to the sites you mention and gotten something of use from each. I’m zoned in on the Via Alpina now. I’ll do some on the ground research on the Walserweg for future consideration.

Just a note: the Activityworkshop article has an error in the numbering of days. 2 section for day 16 and 3 for day 17. When “I” count the days it comes to 21, not 17.

I’m still left with the issue of planning accommodation. Reservations and condoms. Nobody bothered with these things in the old daze. Sorta takes the fun out of adventures. Slowly slowly.

Thanks. I appreciate any light anyone can shed on my path.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2012 at 16:23:04 #835851

ViaAlpina / Alpenpassroute
    Where to sleep – a list of guesthouses:
    http://www.wandersite.ch/Alpenpassroute.html#Unterkunftliste

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2012 at 17:11:21 #835852

Wow!

• The thread ‘Walserweg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.