Wasserauen- Seealpsee-Ebenalp: challenging hike?

• ERainbow
    Participant
    14 posts
    3 May 2023 at 4:14:06 #829751

Hi everyone,

I’m sorry for asking again.. but I really really want to get more info and have a back up plan.

I am planning to do the Uphill hike from Wasserauen to Seealpsee (taking the forest trail), then to Ascher and Ebnealp.

How dangerous and difficult would this route and direction be, I understand it’d be a steep uphill to Seealpsee and to Ascher.

My back up plan…

Hike round trip Wasserauen <->Seealpsee; then take cable car to Ebnealp, walk to Ascher and back to Ebnealp to take the cable car down. Does this make sense? there’s no cable car from Seealpsee to Ebnealp, correct?

I’m leaning towards the back up plan… I’d love to see the stunning views but safety should come first. I want to do uphill as I tend to do better and trust myself better with uphill than downhill. I’m not new to hiking but definitely not an experienced hikers and newbies to Swiss mountains for sure.

If I go with back plan, which I should have a bit more time left in my day… other than explore the town of Appenzell, any recommendations ?

THANK YOU!!!!

-E

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2023 at 22:59:46 #954043

The Wasserauen – Seealpsee road is quite steep in itself but it is neverthless a road so is easier to negotiate than the steep path Seealpsee – Aescher. I’m not sure returning to Wasserauen would be any less strenous than walking steadily up the path from Seealpsee. (have a rest and refreshment stop at Seealpsee cafes first)

herotravel
    Participant
    23 posts
    4 May 2023 at 7:27:34 #954044

Ah……..I too, have been thinking this as we are going end of this month

except whether for this one you are suggesting OR:

Take 6-7am train (from Zurich) and arrive Wasserauen station (8-9am) to beat the crowd.

Take the Ebenalp cable car up and hike to the hut/have breakfast around till estimate 11am.

Then hike back down via Seealpsee (have fun in mini boat ride), then keep walking to Wasserauen station, probably add another 3 hours.

Then at 2pm, head to Apenzell to explore around for a couple of hours, have some nice lunch etc. before heading back to Zurich

Which way would it be better?

I assume from top to bottom would be better because of the view, so that is why this is my prelim plan

I could be wrong though

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    4 May 2023 at 19:54:06 #954045

Hi ERainbow,

It was maybe 5 or 6 years ago, I did this hike in reverse to your first plan. So up with the cable car and then hiking down. The attraction was of course to visit and view the Gasthaus Aescher-Wildkirchli, jutting out of the mountain ledge. (In answer to your question, there is no cable car from Seealpsee to Ebenalp)

It was challenging and required a lot of concentration and I must admit, there were moments I did not enjoy. Parts of the trail were narrow and uneven. That said, the views were amazing but I was quite relieved when I reached the bottom. Seealpsee was stunning by the way.

Here are some helpful hiking links:

You have a sensible approach and I like your back up plan. With the extra time, you could also make your way to St.Gallen, after Appenzell and have a look around there? You can research journey times / route with the timetable link. https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2023 at 22:13:45 #954046

Yes Yolanda, that’s exactly what I did with my wife. I agree we found some of the path down steep and narrow. My wife has minor medical issues and didn’t like the constant pressure on her legs when going downhill. I think I would have preferred it uphill.

Interestingly, the Aescher inn came as a complete surprise to us – we had not gone there especially to see it! We were just taking advantage of the free cable car with the guest card issued to us by the owners of our rented house!

ERainbow
    Participant
    14 posts
    5 May 2023 at 22:19:01 #954047

Thank you, everyone!! so helpful as always!

I see most people hike the downhill direction, is there particular reason why? or like Herotravel mentioned, better view? I’m just curious 🙂

I think I’m leaning on the Back Up plan even more… Seealpsee for the morning, walk back to Wasserauen after lunch at the cafes; then part of afternoon for Ebnealp and Aescher. Since this will be the first part of my 10 day trip, I should reserve some energy and strength.

Thanks Yolanda, for the St. Gallen recommendation! I will check it out! or I will explore Appenzell more and head to bed early… and to Lucerne earlier the next day. Go with how I feel.. I think the back up plan will give me more flexibility, but less views and hiking through the mountains 😛

• The thread ‘Wasserauen- Seealpsee-Ebenalp: challenging hike?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.