Waterhole / cliff jumping / swimming in the open

• remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    26 April 2013 at 10:24:56 #805944

Hello,

I posted this question nested in my monster megalith of a post here, but thought I’d put this out there with its own post to see if any hikers or swimmers could give me an answer. I can’t seem to find it googling.

Is the waterhole in Brontallo where the world cliff diving competition takes place (here) open to the public outside competition days? If so, where can I find information on this? I wrote to the competition email address to inquire but haven’t heard back.

Are there any other locations in the Ticino region (or elsewhere) where there are outdoor streams and places to jump in that anyone could recommend? I’m planning a backpacking trip and most of us are into swimming and (safely) jumping off of cliffs (we grew up in Hawaii where there’s a lot of that).

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    1 May 2013 at 10:49:38 #838507

Hi remyo! I’m not sure about cliff diving in Brontallo or its surroundings. I suggest you contact the local tourism agency. In general, you have to be very careful around Swiss rivers. Many are part of hydroelectric plants, meaning that huge masses of water can suddenly be released into the river beds. This also goes for some Ticino rivers, part of the Maggia power plant. Although warnings signs are placed along the banks, this phenomenon sadly takes lives quite regularly.

• The thread ‘Waterhole / cliff jumping / swimming in the open’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.