Weggis or Vitznam to access Mt Rigi

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2012 at 7:03:35 #805134

Hullo to the Forum!…..a few more questions that I would like definative answers to please.
    From Lucerne,it appears the shortest[timewise] means of getting to Mt Rigis, by boat or train is arriving into Weggis?
    however,a lot of “forum info”suggests Vitznau as the more popular access place…Is there a benefit to asending Mt Rigi from one rather than the other?
    The cablecar up from Weggis is free with Swiss Pass to Rigi Kaltbad,is this as high/far as it goes? Or does it continue up to other stations,and if so are costs involved?
    From Vitznau,I know the cog rail train is free with pass,does it go higher than the “Weggis” route and is it free the whole journey?
    Is the cog faster than the cablelift ? Finally,Which ride is better??
    Looking forward to your help+advice,Thanks:-)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    19 April 2012 at 16:49:55 #835627

Hi mbear12! Both routes will be for free with your Swiss Pass, as displayed on the downloadable validity map at the Swiss Pass page. The cog rail ride from Vitznau takes longer than the Weggis cable car, but is very worthwile as it’s a great scenic ride. The cable car only gets you to Kaltbad, where you should get on the train anyway to get up to the highest accessible point. Timetables and brochures with specific information can be found at the Rigi website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2012 at 21:04:17 #835628

Thanks Annika.

andrew
    Participant
    146 posts
    20 April 2012 at 6:19:17 #835629

Hi mbear12,
    Another thing to bear in mind when going up Rigi from Weggis is that it’s about one kilometre walk uphill from the Schiffstation/main bus stop in the centre of Weggis to the lower cable car station. There are buses which take about 7 minutes or allow at least 15 minutes to walk.
    Cheers,
    Andrew.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2012 at 6:56:52 #835630

Your a “star” Andrew, for letting me know…I will be factoring this info in when making my plans!

• The thread ‘Weggis or Vitznam to access Mt Rigi’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.