Wengen hotels for 7 days from 14/10/2020 2 couples

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 7:57:14 #824422

We thought we would stay in Wengen for seven days prior to our cruise next year. We fly into Zurich. I have contacted a few hotels and one has gotten back to me and said a lot are closed at that time and reopen in December. Why is this and what other option do we have to stay somewhere un- touristy with the views Wengen has?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 8:29:11 #924913

Hello Wattzat,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

The reason why is because it’s in-between seasons and many will be closed such as: hotels, restaurants, cable cars, etc. They are all getting ready for high season so they are doing maintenance, staff go on short breaks, etc. I would highly give the area a miss and stay at lower elevations. Please look at this detailed link explaining the various seasons when visiting Switzerland:

Perhaps could consider Grindelwald, it’s a much bigger village, and there will be more places open. Grindelwald sits upon a bit of a plateau so you’ll see more of the sun; if any, because of the winter season and the daylight hours being shorter.

I will attach some links about Grindelwald:

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 8:34:47 #924914

Thanks Suzanne. What about Lauterbrunnen?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 8:50:50 #924915

Hello Wattzat,

Thanks for your question!

Lauterbrunnen sits in a deep valley and the sun hardly rises above the steep valley sides during that season. As well many hotels are also getting ready for the high season. However, you could still try…..

I will attach some links about Lauterbrunnen for you:

Good luck!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 November 2019 at 12:46:00 #924916

Hi Wattzat-

Although it is hardly as scenic, Interlaken is more likely to have tourist facilities operating, and you have acceptable access to the scenic villages.

The time table will tell you timing for the journeys, and here are useful guidelines:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

This map shows the relationship and transport between the towns. Zoom in and out:

map.search.ch/?pos=641480,165424&z=32

And, I suspect that not all hotels in Wengen are closed in mid-October. However, there are few sightseers and no skiers in the “between seasons” period, as Suzanne has noted, so there are few customers. As a consequence, few open facilities.

I’d suggest that you contact the tourist office for Wengen and ask their guidance:

swiss.city-tourist.de/Wengen-Touristeninformation-en.html

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Wengen hotels for 7 days from 14/10/2020 2 couples’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.