Skiing from Wengen or Grindelwald in early March?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2019 at 12:27:49 #819823

Hello all, I am planning a ski holiday with my daughter (17yo) in early March and can’t decide between Grindelwald and Wengen as a base. We are both eager and good skiers, and we would definì like to try the Lauberhorn downhill piste and maybe do some off piste with a guide. It would be a father-and-daughter break, so we would look for peace and nature rather than for hip. What would you suggest?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2019 at 22:39:43 #903745

Hi Powdermaster,

I have skied in Wengen but I know my boyfriend is a big fan of Grindelwald. Lauberhorn is of course in Wengen!

Links for more info:

As I have not skied in Grindelwald, what I can tell you is:

• Both areas share the Mannlichen and Scheidegg ski areas
    • In addition, Grindelwald has a direct access to First skiing area as well (so you could say one extra skiing area, good if you are an advanced skier!)
    • Grindelwald seems to be the more lively place between the two with some good restaurants and apres-ski so if you’re after peace and quiet then Wengen might be better.
    • There is one less train connection to Grindelwald (if you are getting there by train)
    • There is some off piste off the Eiger Nordbahn (better enquire when you are there), and on the other side of the Lauberhorn.
    • Wengen is car free, whilst Grindelwald is not.

However, both areas area great places and I think Wengen is a lovely resort with lots of great runs for all levels as well so either one should be fine as a base.

These are not great areas for off-piste, if you are after an off-piste adventure then you should consider Davos, Andermatt or Verbier (with good on and off piste options).

http://www.myswissalps.com/da vos

Once you go, please post a review on our site of your adventure!

Maria.

• The thread ‘Skiing from Wengen or Grindelwald in early March?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.