Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Skiing from Wengen or Grindelwald in early March?

Skiing from Wengen or Grindelwald in early March?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Powdermaster
Powdermaster
3 posts
Feb 7, 2019 - 12:27 PM

Hello all, I am planning a ski holiday with my daughter (17yo) in early March and can’t decide between Grindelwald and Wengen as a base. We are both eager and good skiers, and we would definì like to try the Lauberhorn downhill piste and maybe do some off piste with a guide. It would be a father-and-daughter break, so we would look for peace and nature rather than for hip. What would you suggest?

Maria
Maria
818 posts
top member
Feb 7, 2019 - 10:39 PM

Hi Powdermaster,

I have skied in Wengen but I know my boyfriend is a big fan of Grindelwald. Lauberhorn is of course in Wengen!

Links for more info:

As I have not skied in Grindelwald, what I can tell you is:

• Both areas share the Mannlichen and Scheidegg ski areas
  • In addition, Grindelwald has a direct access to First skiing area as well (so you could say one extra skiing area, good if you are an advanced skier!)
  • Grindelwald seems to be the more lively place between the two with some good restaurants and apres-ski so if you're after peace and quiet then Wengen might be better.
  • There is one less train connection to Grindelwald (if you are getting there by train)
  • There is some off piste off the Eiger Nordbahn (better enquire when you are there), and on the other side of the Lauberhorn.
  • Wengen is car free, whilst Grindelwald is not.

However, both areas area great places and I think Wengen is a lovely resort with lots of great runs for all levels as well so either one should be fine as a base.

These are not great areas for off-piste, if you are after an off-piste adventure then you should consider Davos, Andermatt or Verbier (with good on and off piste options).

www.myswissalps.com/da vos

Once you go, please post a review on our site of your adventure!

Maria.

Last modified on Feb 8, 2019 - 11:45 AM by Maria

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020