Wengen or Lucerne for 2 nights

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2015 at 0:38:44 #807419

I currently have reservations to spend 2 days in Wengen and 1 day in Lucerne before flying out of Zurich the day after that. Would you recommend 2 nights in Wengen or 2 nights in Lucerne? I’m travelling with my wife in August! We definitely want to visit the Jungfrau and do the Golden Round Trip. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 June 2015 at 11:38:10 #843862

Hi gnapes, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Both options would be perfectly fine and would allow you to visit the Jungfraujoch and Pilatus. Wengen is right in between the Alps, so if the Alps are your main focus, spending two nights there makes sense. You could pick on of the many other activities in the Bernese Oberland for your other day. Lucerne is great too though and has a lot to offer, even in case of bad weather. That might be a better choice if you’re fond of a somewhat larger town with shops, restaurants, etc. Whatever you pick, I don’t think you’ll regret it!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2015 at 4:57:39 #843863

Thank you very much!. I’m a bit confused about train from Milan to Zermatt. We have 4 day Swiss Travel passes. You have stated that we only need to buy tickets from Milan to Domodossola. My question is do we change trains in Domodossola? We are travelling on 8/21 and would like to take the 8:23 train. I’ve tried to get clarification by going on the websites, but I’m still a bit confused. Thank you for all your help.

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 June 2015 at 8:07:46 #843864

Hi gnapes,

You’re right, the Swiss Travel Pass is valid from Domodossola (see the map), so you only need tickets from Milan to Domodossola. You can order them along with your pass, but if you already purchased your pass you can still buy them separately. Please see myswissalps.com/ traintickets/italy/ price.

There is no need to get off the train in Domodossola. You will have tickets to Domodossola and a pass which is valid from Domodossola (make sure to validate it before you reach there), so just stay seated.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 June 2015 at 20:31:07 #843865

If the weather is cloudy, the Jungfrau region loses a lot of its appeal. Why pay to go up on a mountain if all you can see is clouds?

I was there last week on cloudy days, so we walked on the valley floor from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen and looked at the waterfalls. Quite nice, but high alpine views would have been better.

If the weather is good, the alps are the first choice, in my opinion.

Luzern, although full of tourists in the summer, has more bad weather options. And, the weather may be different there…..weather in Switzerland tends to be localized.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

• The thread ‘Wengen or Lucerne for 2 nights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.