Wengen – Allmend Station & return suggested by Kim

• bally
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 August 2015 at 1:32:46 #807752

In Kim’s very informative “book” on the BO, she mentions a low route where there is a “bail-out” point where you can walk back to Allmend Station and catch a train to Wengen. My question is : what would be the total time to hike this low route? ( Wengen to bailout point down to Allmend Station and hike down to Wengen)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    14 August 2015 at 20:55:42 #845336

Hi Bally,

It is hard to say how long it will take to hike the low route without knowing your experience with hiking with lots of vertical ascent. The low route is more scenic but has much steeper sections that the “middle” route — the route that is the bike trail as well as the route the runners take for the Jungfrau Marathon. It goes right by the Allmend station.

As beautiful as the low route is up to Allmend area, the most fantastic stretch of this hike is past this point, once you round the corner and come face to face with the glaciers and the Jungfrau massif. If you only want to hike a portion of the Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg trail I would take the train from Wengen up to Allmend, then hike the stretch up to Wengernalp where you can catch the train for the final 500 feet of vertical ascent up to Kleine Scheidegg. This is also the easiest stretch of the hike.

bally
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 August 2015 at 22:13:21 #845337

Kim: thank you so much. Your PDFs have been a goldmine of info in planning our trip to Wengen. Bally

bally
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 August 2015 at 22:24:44 #845338

Hi Kim: how long would the trail be from Allmend Station to Wengernalp, as you suggest? If we decide to continue on up to Kleine Scheidegg on foot ( instead of the train), how far would that be? PS we are 3 hiking newbies;fit;willing but no experience. Have been walking 4 miles 3x per week on CX trails with lots of hills but nothing like I’m seeing in the pix. Thank you again for your assistance. Bally

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    14 August 2015 at 23:02:32 #845339

I would plan on at least a hour from Allmend to Wengernalp, perhaps 1.5 hours.

The route up from Wengernalp to KS is relatively short but quite steep. Maybe 30 – 45 minutes?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 August 2015 at 15:53:15 #845340

<<“PS we are 3 hiking newbies;fit;willing but no experience. have been walking 4 miles 3x per week on CX trails with lots of hills but nothing like I’m seeing in the pix.”>>

You should be good to go. Good hiking boots are desirtable. Just keep in mind that you are at relatively high altitude. which may slow you down or cause you to pant a bit. Maybe allow a few extra minutes.

Once you are there inSwitzerlasnd, you will realize that -“Walking is a legitimate form of public transportation”. 😉

And, that a few hills don’t slow the Swiss down very much.. Consider the trail signs given in times to be reasonable estimates for people who walk just as fast up and down hills as on level ground. ;-(

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Wengen – Allmend Station & return suggested by Kim’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.