About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Wengen to Zermatt via RegioExpress Lötschberger?
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Wengen to Zermatt via RegioExpress Lötschberger?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Jpehrson
Jpehrson
28 posts
Jun 21, 2022 - 10:28 PM

Someone in the past mentioned taking the train from Wengen to Zermatt via Kandersteg so I could experience the Regio-Express Lotschberger train? Is this worth the extra time and if so how would I go about doing this?

1960man
1960man
4398 posts
expert
Jun 21, 2022 - 11:36 PM in reply to Jpehrson

See my 'mythbuster' here: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/the-lotschberg-route-mythbuster

Also see the description of the route and guidance elsewhere on this website.

Ildiko
Ildiko
2528 posts
expert &
Jun 22, 2022 - 8:28 AM in reply to Jpehrson

Hi Jpehrson,

It depends on how much time you have. You can read about the RegioExpress Lötschberger train route here: www.myswissalps.com/lotschberger/gettingthere. The best part of the route is the Spiez-Goppenstein-Brig leg. You'll experience impressive railway engineering and great views of the mountains.

Seat reservation is not obligatory.

Ildiko

Arno
Arno
15694 posts
expert &
Jun 22, 2022 - 8:42 AM in reply to Jpehrson

Hi Jpehrson,

If you have time then yes, I definitely recommend it! The railway engineering is indeed impressive and the views along the mountain leg are great. You'll first ascend into the mountains from Spiez/Frutigen. Then you enter the Lötschberg tunnel (different from the longer Lötschberg base tunnel), and after that you'll slowly descend into the Rhone valley with wide views.

The section "RegioExpress Lötschberger trains versus quick connections" at www.myswissalps.com/lotschberger might be helpful too.

Jpehrson
Jpehrson
28 posts
Jun 22, 2022 - 12:20 PM in reply to Arno

I will have plenty of time as we will start the ride early morning. How do I connect to this from Wengen?

1960man
1960man
4398 posts
expert
Jun 22, 2022 - 2:28 PM in reply to Jpehrson

Journey needs five or six separate trains. Stage 4 Spiez - Brig is the Regio Express Lotschberger

Journey is 4 hours 8 mins using the SBB train from Brig, departs at xx.43 every hour from Wengen

Wengen - Lauterbrunnen (WAB railway)

Lauterbrunnen - Interlaken Ost (BOB railway)

Interlaken Ost - Spiez (BLS Railway)

Spiez - Kandersteg - Brig (BLS Railway)

Brig - Visp (SBB); Visp - Zermatt (MGB railway)

OR

Brig - Zermatt (MGB)

Last modified on Jun 22, 2022 - 2:33 PM by 1960man
Arno
Arno
15694 posts
expert &
Jun 23, 2022 - 8:14 AM in reply to Jpehrson

Hi Jpehrson,

You can plan your journey (and all other trips) with the Swiss timetable. Here's how it works: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable. If you fill out a via-station along the Lötschberg mountain route, such as Kandersteg or Goppenstein, you'll get to see connections from Spiez to Brig with the RegioExpress Lötschberger trains. Click on any connection in the timetable for details, and on any leg of that connection for even more details.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022