Wengen vs Grindelwald for 3 days in early May?

• jdander94
    Participant
    3 posts
    9 April 2016 at 2:50:49 #808852

Hi –

What a great website you guys have created – so helpful! I just wanted to get some thoughts on the difference between staying in Wengen vs staying in Grindelwald? We’ll be there for three days in early May and just want to do some hiking and soak up the beauty of the Swiss Alps. Nightlife doesn’t matter so much to me but whichever has the better options for eating out, grocery store, etc. is probably what we prefer (also we won’t have a car so Wengen being car-free is fine). Also I know May is very early in the season so I also wonder if most things in town will be open or not. Thank you!

John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 April 2016 at 7:44:35 #850533

Hi John, and thanks for your compliments!

Opinions on Wengen vs Grindelwald differ. If you search this forum using the search box in the upper right corner you’ll find several other threads dealing with this issue. Now, as for your specific situation: Grindelwald is larger than Wengen and has more facilities, so in all this may be a better choice for a low season visit in early May. Views from both towns are great. Wengen is at a higher altitude, so you’ll both look at the snow-capped Alps and down to the Lauterbrunnen valley. Due to this height, there’s more chance of (melting) snow and mud near Wengen. Grindelwald is located in a valley, but if you manage to find a good spot with a room facing the Alps, you’ll be able to view the impressive Eiger north face.

• The thread ‘Wengen vs Grindelwald for 3 days in early May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.